High Alk, Low Magnesium and Calcium

reefbeginnings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey everyone, I’m trying to wrap my head around why has my Alk risen and whats depleting calcium and magnesium. And what’s the solution.

I recently added a hammer garden (9 heads) and a yumma mushroom and soon after I noticed my Alk jumped to 10 and resulting in depletion of my calcium and magnesium.

220g tank (6x2x2.5 - LPS dominant)

Salinity: 1.025
PO4: 0.03
No3: 25
Alk: 10 (prev. 9)
Cal: 400 (prev. 450)
Mg: 1120 (prev. 1250)

Dosing 40ml All for Reef currently.

I fear increasing AFR dose is going to futher shoot my Alk.

Should I go for separate calcium and magnesium dosing? I’m thinking Tropic Marin Bio-Magnesium, BioCalcium or Aquaforest.

Not sure if its the cause but I’ve been dosing slighter higher dose of NoPox to bring nitrates down which at one point touched 75 (I was away for a few weeks, overdosing probably).

PS: all corals happy right now.

Appreciate the responses.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other then mag being low your numbers are fine. Elevated nutrients level respond better with Elevated alk around 10 is fine. Bring mag up to 1400. Cal 420.

OP
OP
R

reefbeginnings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Other then mag being low your numbers are fine. Elevated nutrients level respond better with Elevated alk around 10 is fine. Bring mag up to 1400. Cal 420.
so just dosing Bio Mag and Bi Calcium will do? Does it have any adverse reaction on Alk?

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
so just dosing Bio Mag and Bi Calcium will do? Does it have any adverse reaction on Alk?
It shouldn't affect alk. Mag is the buffer for alk and calcium. You may need to lower your all for reef dosing to keep alk steady. Corals go though phases of growth so at times they consume more and other timed less. If you have coralline that uses up calcium. Generally water changes suffice to replenish magnesium but I still need to dose a bit
Magnesium is consumed at 1/10th the rate of calcium and alk.

The key here is you stated your corals look fine so only small tweaks needed.

OP
OP
R

reefbeginnings

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It shouldn't affect alk. Mag is the buffer for alk and calcium. You may need to lower your all for reef dosing to keep alk steady. Corals go though phases of growth so at times they consume more and other timed less. If you have coralline that uses up calcium. Generally water changes suffice to replenish magnesium but I still need to dose a bit
Magnesium is consumed at 1/10th the rate of calcium and alk.

The key here is you stated your corals look fine so only small tweaks needed.
Thank you. Appreciate the help.

Lavey29

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thank you. Appreciate the help.
Generally speaking if your nitrates are 20 to 40 that supports the higher alk level of 10 and some studies show higher coral growth levels with higher alk. I wouldn't want to go higher then 10 though. You can hand dose some magnesium and calcium to bring those levels up. Keep in mind your salt mix plays a role in your alk level to. Red sea pro salt much higher level alk then red sea blue bucket for instance.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 6 7.1%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 4.8%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 6.0%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 76.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 6.0%
Back