View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - I have a 35 gallon tank, setup for about 1 year, with:

- A rainbow bubble tip nem
- Mostly LPS / few SPS corals
- One soft coral and several Zoas

I've been using the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals salt, with supposedly (400 ppm Calcium, 13 dKH Alkalinity, and 1440 ppm Magnesium). I noticed a while back that my Alkalinity drops much faster than Calcium and Magnesium, so I've been dosing baking soda to maintain it at around 8.2 dKH. Parameters:

- pH: 8.2
- Salinity: 35
- Nitrate: ~5
- Calcium: 520
- Magnesium: 1500

(calcium and magnesium seem off the chart high and they don't seem to drop noticeably)

I did notice, however, that my corals (and particularly my BTA) don't grow that fast. I've been reading about how high Alkalinity might encourage stony corals growth (assuming it's not a ULN tank which I don't), and have been thinking about raising my Alkalinity to 11-12. Is this a good idea, and will it hurt the BTA and other soft corals?

Thank you!

dwest

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi - I have a 35 gallon tank, setup for about 1 year, with:

- A rainbow bubble tip nem
- Mostly LPS / few SPS corals
- One soft coral and several Zoas

I've been using the Instant Ocean Reef Crystals salt, with supposedly (400 ppm Calcium, 13 dKH Alkalinity, and 1440 ppm Magnesium). I noticed a while back that my Alkalinity drops much faster than Calcium and Magnesium, so I've been dosing baking soda to maintain it at around 8.2 dKH. Parameters:

- pH: 8.2
- Salinity: 35
- Nitrate: ~5
- Calcium: 520
- Magnesium: 1500

(calcium and magnesium seem off the chart high and they don't seem to drop noticeably)

I did notice, however, that my corals (and particularly my BTA) don't grow that fast. I've been reading about how high Alkalinity might encourage stony corals growth (assuming it's not a ULN tank which I don't), and have been thinking about raising my Alkalinity to 11-12. Is this a good idea, and will it hurt the BTA and other soft corals?

Thank you!
I would target alkalinity where you have it now at 8.2. That sounds perfect to me.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The expected calcium decline for a given alk decline during calcification is 18-20 ppm calcium for each 2.8 dKH of alk. So unless you consume a lot of alk on a regular basis, you are unlikely to be able to detect the calcium drip due to random variability in calcium testing.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS will grow in any ALK aslong as its stable. I would say the best range i find is 7.5KH to 8.5DKH with 8DKH being a good target. I find going higher than 10DKH is asking for trouble since the ocean Alk is around 7DKH and I just have a hunch that mother nature is more smarter than any human alive :)

OP
OP
diabolical_clownfish

diabolical_clownfish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
SPS will grow in any ALK aslong as its stable. I would say the best range i find is 7.5KH to 8.5DKH with 8DKH being a good target. I find going higher than 10DKH is asking for trouble since the ocean Alk is around 7DKH and I just have a hunch that mother nature is more smarter than any human alive :)
Thanks, but I feel like that is not an effective argument. We know that nitrate and phosphate are undetectable in the ocean, yet we run into problems if our tanks run at zero nutrients. The ocean's Alkalinity isn't necessarily optimized towards growing stony corals, but we have (sufficient?) evidence that it accelerates growth:

So at the moment, I'm still inclined to move up my Alk by a little bit, not necessarily at 12 like BRS.

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, but I feel like that is not an effective argument. We know that nitrate and phosphate are undetectable in the ocean, yet we run into problems if our tanks run at zero nutrients. The ocean's Alkalinity isn't necessarily optimized towards growing stony corals, but we have (sufficient?) evidence that it accelerates growth:

So at the moment, I'm still inclined to move up my Alk by a little bit, not necessarily at 12 like BRS.

The ocean has much higher source of PO/NO regardless of Undetectable numbers. I feel your corals will be fine at 12DKH as long as you bring it up slowly, however, I would not recommend it.
goodluck

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOl, I was googling it and its NO3.
What kind of Phosphates are in ocean? If i am not mistaken there are 2 types.

There are several types of phosphate in the ocean.

The main forms are dissolved inorganic phosphate, dissolved organic phosphate (such as DNA, phospholipids, etc.), and particulate organic forms (detritus, bacteria, viruses, etc.).

This has more:

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

The main forms are dissolved inorganic phosphate, dissolved organic phosphate (such as DNA, phospholipids, etc.), and particulate organic forms (detritus, bacteria, viruses, etc.).

This has more:

My phosphates in my new system with zero fileration are at .34PPM, Does the Hanna ULR test particulate organic forms

Ashish Patel

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

This has more:

This write up is outstanding! will leave it at that. take care all

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My phosphates in my new system with zero fileration are at .34PPM, Does the Hanna ULR test particulate organic forms

No, it doesn't Only dissolved inorganic phosphate.

Form or function: Do you consider your rock work to be art or the platform for your coral?

• Primarily art focused.

Votes: 20 8.2%
  • Primarily a platform for coral.

Votes: 44 18.0%
  • A bit of each - both art and a platform.

Votes: 162 66.4%
  • Neither.

Votes: 12 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.5%
Back