High Calacium

Timrpn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello. I am sure this has been asked plenty of times. I have been using Red Sea Pro blue bucket salt and my calcium has always been very high. I don’t dose anything. Just water changes. Thank has been up since the summer. Transferred from my old tank which was running for 3 years. Only think I replaced was my substrate when I moved tanks. Which could be the cause? But would that settle by then? My Ca is always reading In the mid to high 500’s. Measured by Trident. I changed my reagent and calibrated still getting high readings. Should I be concerned that it is this high all ten time?

salt level is 35.0 ppt measured by Hannah Salinty checker.

F448FEAD-7357-4F97-B96C-6AFBF1B6EB7A.jpeg B92368E2-FD28-474C-B952-7ACE61A06CBE.png

lapin

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Per Randy
Some salt mixes have calcium in the 500s and that's not a problem. I think it best to keep calcium below 600 ppm, but the only risk I know of is accelerated precipitation of calcium carbonate, and a rise of 0.3 pH units has about the same effect as a calcium rise from 420 to 840 ppm, so the risk from slightly elevated calcium is not generally a big deal.

thatmanMIKEson

Reefing ain't easy$
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That value is fine, but the trident also runs amok when reagent gets low.
Lol...1 : in a violently raging, wild, or uncontrolled manner —used in the phrase run amok rioters running amok in the streetsConditions had allowed extremism to run amok. 2 : in a murderously frenzied state. amok...

I had to look it up to understand i thought it was a trident thing

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Lol...1 : in a violently raging, wild, or uncontrolled manner —used in the phrase run amok rioters running amok in the streetsConditions had allowed extremism to run amok. 2 : in a murderously frenzied state. amok...

I had to look it up to understand i thought it was a trident thing

lol

Well, my use of the word doesn't involve such extreme reactions.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 28.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 26.8%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 4 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back