High electric bill

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello reefers!!

My electricity bill has been a lot higher lately. I live in California with 30 cent per kWh!

I added an energy monitor the other day and it cost me $1.5 per day to run my tank! I imagine it would be $2 per day in the winter. It’s only a 90G tank with 3 XR15s and no skimmer.

My electric bill used to be $100-$150 before my tank and now it’s $220-$350 with only 2 adults and 1 toddler in a newly built home.

What’s your guys electricity bill with the tank??

Jekyl

GSP is the devil and clowns are bad pets
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
hello reefers!!

My electricity bill has been a lot higher lately. I live in California with 30 cent per kWh!

I added an energy monitor the other day and it cost me $1.5 per day to run my tank! I imagine it would be $2 per day in the winter. It’s only a 90G tank with 3 XR15s and no skimmer.

My electric bill used to be $100-$150 before my tank and now it’s $220-$350 with only 2 adults and 1 toddler in a newly built home.

What’s your guys electricity bill with the tank??
I get notices that I use more than my neighbors. They probably just think I'm growing pot.

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electricity is used in so many things in a home and its consumption can vary widely depending on outside temperatures, number of occupants, etc. How long have you lived in this house? When did you add your tank?

When I first started reefing at my parents house in the early 2000s they were so happy when I shut down my tanks. Back then I had multiple metal halides and AC pumps that were throttled.

I’d estimate based on my power logging that my tank uses $75/month.

JNalley

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
55 Gallons total water volume
Kessil AP9X
InkBird with two heaters
Bubble Magus Curve 5 Elite
NYOS G2 Reactor
Sicce SDC 6.0
Hydros Control X10
IceCap Kalk reactor
2x Maxspect XF-330 Gyres

Electric Bill in Summer: $230
Electric Bill in Winter: $120

Heating is Gas. House Built in 1953

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Electricity is used in so many things in a home and its consumption can vary widely depending on outside temperatures, number of occupants, etc. How long have you lived in this house? When did you add your tank?

When I first started reefing at my parents house in the early 2000s they were so happy when I shut down my tanks. Back then I had multiple metal halides and AC pumps that were throttled.

I’d estimate based on my power logging that my tank uses $75/month.
I lived in the house for 4 years and the more I upgraded to tank the more my energy cost went up lol

~MD~Reefs~

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in CA in the Bay Area. This past month the bill was $209. I have a 5’ dart frog tank running two 150W Leds and a 45 Gallon reef tank full setup. 3 adults 3 kids in home. Lots of electronics and we run a window a/c a few hours a day. Back when I had my 100 gallon tank, the bill would be $290-310 so getting rid of that tank definitely cut the bill substantially

Viking_Reefing

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Probably not applicable to you as I live in Sweden but my monthly electricity bill is around 500$.

Totally system volume split by two tanks and the sump is around 420 gallons.
2 adults and one toddler.
The house is about 250m2 which I think is like 2700 square feet.

When the energy crisis was really bad (we had, and still do, a surplus of electricity in Sweden but for political reasons we took as large of a hit as the importing countries lol) I got monthly bills that crossed 1000$. The worst was 1200$ I believe.

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m in CA in the Bay Area. This past month the bill was $209. I have a 5’ dart frog tank running two 150W Leds and a 45 Gallon reef tank full setup. 3 adults 3 kids in home. Lots of electronics and we run a window a/c a few hours a day. Back when I had my 100 gallon tank, the bill would be $290-310 so getting rid of that tank definitely cut the bill substantially
I’m thinking about downgrading but I love my yellow tang too much :/ but this electric bill is hurting lol I also have a small pond , 15g QT tank and a 20g turtle tank urgh it’s so hard to give up

SVTChili

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125g, keep the house at 71°-ish, keep the pool at 85° and run the pumps about 12hrs/day. Southwest Florida and my electric bill in the winter is $175 and about $250 in the summer.

Also have 2 kids that forget to turn stuff off all the time.

littlefoxx

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t pay state income tax either ;)
What state do you live in? I gotta move there, state taxes in my state went up so much to fund BS programs and they keep taking more and more each check!!

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 125g, keep the house at 71°-ish, keep the pool at 85° and run the pumps about 12hrs/day. Southwest Florida and my electric bill in the winter is $175 and about $250 in the summer.

Also have 2 kids that forget to turn stuff off all the time.
Not bad at all. My electric is a lot higher in the winter due to the heater

Biokabe

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What state do you live in? I gotta move there, state taxes in my state went up so much to fund BS programs and they keep taking more and more each check!!

If there isn't a state income tax, there's almost certainly a sales tax, which can be worse. Everything costs me 10% more thanks to our sales tax.

And there will always be a lovely program that you think is stupid that gets funded from your tax dollars... For me, it's an extra $400 a year in car tabs to fund a light rail project that, no joke, won't even be built in my city for another 25 years.

I'm not even opposed to the light rail... it just galls to pay for something that the cities to the north will get to use immediately while my city's portion won't even be built until the northern section needs renovation.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least your tax is on what you buy and use, instead of on programs and things you don’t.

My sales tax is 3% higher than my prior state and I save over $4,000 a year on income tax. I think I would need to spend over 150,000 on taxable purchases a year before the sales tax works out to be more than the state income tax

OP
OP
J

Jaybeastin

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
At least your tax is on what you buy and use, instead of on programs and things you don’t.

My sales tax is 3% higher than my prior state and I save over $4,000 a year on income tax. I think I would need to spend over 150,000 on taxable purchases a year before the sales tax works out to be more than the state income tax
All these taxes talk made me look at my state tax I paid last year never really noticed but it showed I paid 4900 here in cali lat year. Not sure if that’s a lot or not

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 48 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.1%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 170 72.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 5.1%
Back