High electric bill

Jimbo327

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's why TOU is a farce. I didn't buy into that one for sure, I just pay the standard rate plan and you DON'T have to go TOU either, So. Cal Edison fails to mention that tidbit until you read the fine print.
You are forced onto TOU when you install solar. Do you have solar?

These TOU plans make solar as unappealing as possible. They basically force you to generate when it's low cost "non-peak" hours, and when sun goes down from 5PM-8PM, they basically price gouge you with "peak" hours. It's terrible.

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You are forced onto TOU when you install solar. Do you have solar?

These TOU plans make solar as unappealing as possible. They basically force you to generate when it's low cost "non-peak" hours, and when sun goes down from 5PM-8PM, they basically price gouge you with "peak" hours. It's terrible.

No solar anymore as I downsized into condo now, some of my neighbors are fighting the HOA for it along with having a 200a service upgrade (I can care less), as I'll never go full electric if I can help it.

Had it in a previous 2k square foot house I owned from 2008 until 2015. I don't remember TOU pricing back then. In my case, luckily I didn't pay for it and the previous owner I bought the house from in 2008 was smart not to lease it (solar ownership was a deal breaker @ closing). IIRC it was on 10-12 panels, so never zeroed out on the electric bill, it did help in the summer months when running the AC as I was just inland enough to not enjoy a breeze.

Here in CA, you couldn't pay me to go solar with the current market conditions. Problem is that the vast majority don't read the fine print and go in feet first and freak out about the savings that was preached but never seen.

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
400 bucks
320 gallon display.
2,000 gallon Koi pond.

I have thought about going solar but again it's going to be too expensive unless I install it myself , which I may do.

In the meantime, I am going to install a tankless water heater and replace my 1000 w of electric heaters. The tankless will use a closed loop fresh water " heat exchanger" made from PEX. I will use a small noritz nr501-od-ng

cilyjr

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To go where? Jobs in my field will only pay me a quarter for what I’m making in other states. Doesn’t make sense for me to leave.
I hate it when people say stuff like that.
My wife is in the teachers union and since The California teachers union is a mess. She needs to complete her time as you don't pay into social security. Yes, that's real. They pay into a different fund.
My work is here. My home is here.

PeterC99

Solarbenchmark.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I put in solar panels recently and had my first month with no electric bill! About 20% of my electricity is for running my 90 gallon aquarium!

IMG_3794.png

Lbrdsoxfan

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hate it when people say stuff like that.
My wife is in the teachers union and since The California teachers union is a mess. She needs to complete her time as you don't pay into social security. Yes, that's real. They pay into a different fund.
My work is here. My home is here.
That's not the only job that's like that, btw... Check out anyone in a GS grade gig (Fed. Govt.). Gotta read the fine print when you hire in.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
That's why TOU is a farce. I didn't buy into that one for sure, I just pay the standard rate plan and you DON'T have to go TOU either, So. Cal Edison fails to mention that tidbit until you read the fine print.
Curious what is TOU?

BZOFIQ

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
9   0   0
Here in CA, you couldn't pay me to go solar with the current market conditions. Problem is that the vast majority don't read the fine print and go in feet first and freak out about the savings that was preached but never seen.

This was the same in NY when SunRun (came twice) to sell their stuff.

Both ways I proved that it doesnt make sense and each time they left.

VintageReefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
20 panels got one person 930kwh in a month, for 16k

Well, what do I need ?

3x20 panels = 2,700 kWh which would get most months covered

16k x 3 = $48,000

Current avg elec bill is around $250

48,000 / 250 = 16 years of electric bills

So I can pay the electric company or I can pay the solar company. I maybe oversimplifying but I don’t see the difference.

AF0B3A53-E7A6-492C-B2F4-2EEC3FD47941.jpeg

Last edited:

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 7 7.6%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 39 42.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 45 48.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back