High Level Of Zinc in my RO Per ICP

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
1) Should I be worried at 12.8 of Zinc per my ICP?
2) The only thing that could be leaching Zinc in my water is my RODI booster pump, or something in the lines of the water in my house
3) Should I add a canister to my system to strip this, and what is the best item to put in that canister?
4) What negative impact would I be looking for if this is a high value?

Thanks in advance, Chris

1715952983328.png

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Have you tested your tap water? Zinc products have been used by water utilities to reduce corrosian in pipes
No, I will send in my tap next month instead of my RODI. However, if it is simply in my tap, then I will need to figure out a way to remove it, I think.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1) Should I be worried at 12.8 of Zinc per my ICP?
2) The only thing that could be leaching Zinc in my water is my RODI booster pump, or something in the lines of the water in my house
3) Should I add a canister to my system to strip this, and what is the best item to put in that canister?
4) What negative impact would I be looking for if this is a high value?

Thanks in advance, Chris

1715952983328.png

there are zero metal parts of any kind after the di?

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I will send in my tap next month instead of my RODI. However, if it is simply in my tap, then I will need to figure out a way to remove it, I think.
Ro/di removes it.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
there are zero metal parts of any kind after the di?
I am thinking perhaps my booster pump maybe. However, I would have thought that since it was specific for this application, it would have been free of metals. But, I also bought 4.5B shares of Shibu thinking I would be able to retire by now :)

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am thinking perhaps my booster pump maybe. However, I would have thought that since it was specific for this application, it would have been free of metals. But, I also bought 4.5B shares of Shibu thinking I would be able to retire by now :)

Booster is before the ro/di and imo, is unlikely to be causing zinc after the di. It would have to release massive amounts before the ro/di fo

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Booster is before the ro/di and imo, is unlikely to be causing zinc after the di. It would have to release massive amounts before the ro/di

I can't get to these right now, but I have 2 RODI bins, each with a float valve. These would be the only metal parts between my DI and my Brutes. I guess the water may be dripping over these 2 metal parts. I don't think they metal parts are resting in it, I used the so I could lower down the float some to remove some risk of flooding.

1715958236155.png

1715958270204.png

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
Have you replaced DI filters?
I am only pushing 70 PSI through the 2 membranes. I think I may need to get a second to increase the water pressure through the membranes. I'll have to check with @Buckeye Hydro, he helped me recently get this thing straightened out.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
I am also going to ICP my tap when I do my next test. We had a significant issue with our water in town last year (had no water for 10 days) and I wonder if it is related to that. We had a diesel fuel spill into our reservoir.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

If there's zinc in your tap water and it's a lot higher than your RO/DI water tested you may need to look at why some is getting through. If there's not much difference or the tap is lower than the RO/DI it's not the culprit. Next to see if it is the hardware on your float valves, which I would think is stainless steel but they could be zinc coated, would be test the RO/DI directly out of teh filter before it goes into your barrels.

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It’s probably coming through exhausted DI filters. I’d replace the membrane and all the filters first, and then send ICP. Zinc at that level is not too toxic yet, but once you get up to 60-80+ ug/L, SPS will start dying.

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
It’s probably coming through exhausted DI filters. I’d replace the membrane and all the filters first, and then send ICP. Zinc at that level is not too toxic yet, but once you get up to 60-80+ ug/L, SPS will start dying.

Nothing is exhausted. A couple weeks prior to my ICP all new sediment and DI replaced. Membranes are <6 months old. I estimate about 1500 gallons through 3 membranes, so, 500 a membrane.

Water is dripping over metal on my float valves. I’m fairly certain that if it isn’t in my tap, that is the culprit. I plan to test my tap next ICP instead of RODI. Then after that test RODI, as I am replacing the metal on the float valves.

(The week before my ICP I removed one of my membranes per Buckeye’s advice).

OP
OP
W

WhatCouldGoWrong71

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
If you have the full RO/DI ICP, that will tell you if DI depletion is the issue. If only zinc is high (not sodium or chloride, etc.), then a depleted DI is not the issue.
I should have read this before replying to the other. Zinc is the only thing that popped on my ICP for RODI.

Back