High speed mixer for making saltwater

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my DI setup operational. I’m ready to mix my own saltwater now. When I reefed back in the early 2000s I just used a brute bin and power head. With this nano I’m doing 7 gallon water storage containers. My plan is to heat the water and circulate with small heater and power head. For mixing salt I bought a paint mixer due to the small opening to the container and weak powerhead. I realized I should research if the high speed mixing will cause issues like precipitation or something I’m not aware of. Any experience doing this or issues I should watch out for? Thanks!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mike550

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I just got my DI setup operational. I’m ready to mix my own saltwater now. When I reefed back in the early 2000s I just used a brute bin and power head. With this nano I’m doing 7 gallon water storage containers. My plan is to heat the water and circulate with small heater and power head. For mixing salt I bought a paint mixer due to the small opening to the container and weak powerhead. I realized I should research if the high speed mixing will cause issues like precipitation or something I’m not aware of. Any experience doing this or issues I should watch out for? Thanks!
Nice move. I don’t see why using one of those paint stirring attachments on a drill could cause an issue. If anything maybe you’ll aerate the water more. Hahah

landlubber

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a lot depends on the salt mix used but i find regardless of how fast i want to mix my nsw the limiting factor to how fast i'm able to add it is clarity and most often 15-20 minutes is generally enough.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hope it's not a plug-in-the-wall drill.

Craig used such a drill in the article above:

The ¼-inch shaft will fit into the chuck of virtually any high-speed drill. Tighten it firmly and you are ready to go. It is important to use a high-speed drill. I had borrowed a high torque, low rpm drill from Terry Siegel that was mainly for heavy work, and it was considerably less effective at mixing the salt than a little multipurpose drill (up to 2500 rpm) that I’ve used in the past.

Tcook

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It can be done. I just would rather not risk myself becoming a grounding probe.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Fair enough. The stirrer Craig used may not be conductive to the water, but having it on a GFCI seems prudent in any case.

exnisstech

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unless you submerge the drill that isn't going to happen

I still think a power head would be the way to go. I wouldn't want to stand there holding a drill mixing salt water. JMO

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
The powerhead you've got in there for circulation should do the job just fine, with less concern of electrocution. Shouldn't hurt anything to mix the water fast, though.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
OP
OP
ti_lavender

ti_lavender

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A powerhead in a bucket or barrel should be plenty.
If the powerhead you have now doesn't seem like it's strong enough, get a bigger one.
The containers I'm using have an opening of <2.5" so not a lot of cheap power heads fit. But I can certainly give it a try to see how long it takes to dissolve.

Hi speed mixing works fine.

Craig Bingman tested it decades ago:

How to Mix a Batch of Synthetic Seawater in Under Five Minutes
Exactly my thought, great to see an old school article about it. My mixer looks slightly different but same idea. I'll be using a cordless drill, similar to when I mix paint.

I'm going to give it a go!

Tired

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I guess it can be done, but it doesn't make it a good idea.

In the 25 years since that article, I haven't heard of it being used, ever.
Maybe people just don't bother, since a powerhead does the job just fine with way less trouble.

Back