Hippo Tang has ich and laying on side

crentch21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just go this baby hippo from LFS and it allthe sudden got alot of ich and is laying on his side in the QT....have a feeling its going to die..suggestions?

navila06

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I have had a hippo recover from ich. If he is eating try garlic soaked nori. Feed very well but be careful not to foul the water from overfeeding. Since in qt. Just do small water changes to help that.

OP
OP
C

crentch21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to hear that. I have had a hippo recover from ich. If he is eating try garlic soaked nori. Feed very well but be careful not to foul the water from overfeeding. Since in qt. Just do small water changes to help that.
He is barely moving...just laying on bottom flat...it'll be a miracle if he makes it

Eienna

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try an experiment for me? Try Kordon Rid-Ich +. Nobody seems to use it, but it says it treats that, and would likely be easier on the little fish's system than copper.

Might be too late to do anything...but here's hoping :/

OP
OP
C

crentch21

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try an experiment for me? Try Kordon Rid-Ich +. Nobody seems to use it, but it says it treats that, and would likely be easier on the little fish's system than copper.

Might be too late to do anything...but here's hoping :/

I'll have to wait till the am to get some fix...but he'll probably not make it that long

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
a FW dip will eliminate the parasite thats on him currently. But, he's liable to retain it again. Ya gotta stabilize him, so dip him first, then get him back in the DT, hopefully you can get him to eat.

Jdodson11

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry to here of your loss. Unfortunately most fish carry some sort of parasites but they aren't visible and don't affect the fish until he is stressed . I would set up your qt tank using seachem cuppermine . It is one if the safest copper treatments out there. It will kill any and all inverts so be careful , snails, hermits , coral you name it dead! But it is amazing how effective it is one the fish and preventing loss due to ich or other issues. You have to follow the instructions to a tee and also buy a copper test kit so you know what level the copper is in your qt tank. Make sure you don't get one drop of the copper treated water in your main display tank. I once used a mag cleaner in the qt tank and forgot and used it also in my main display and it killed all my snails and hermit crabs.

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 54 40.3%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 28 20.9%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 48 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.0%
Back