Hippo Tang issue?

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I uploaded a clip to YouTube. Let me know if there’s a better video I should get. Not really sure what to look for but the spots are difficult to see on video.

Just aside observation: The tang is breathing too fast - it is either recently stressed, has a gill disease or the tank has low oxygen/high carbon dioxide.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just aside observation: The tang is breathing too fast - it is either recently stressed, has a gill disease or the tank has low oxygen/high carbon dioxide.
All the other tank mates seem to be breathing normally. This hippo tang has been like this since picking him up with the tank. I have noticed the fast breathing, from the start in addition to the tattered fins and discoloration near the eyes, which is why I’m thinking it may be some sort of infection/parasite. He is still often rubbing on rocks but also staying very active and eating well.

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All the other tank mates seem to be breathing normally. This hippo tang has been like this since picking him up with the tank. I have noticed the fast breathing, from the start in addition to the tattered fins and discoloration near the eyes, which is why I’m thinking it may be some sort of infection/parasite. He is still often rubbing on rocks but also staying very active and eating well.
Scratching on the rocks, plus the other symptoms confirms flukes.
Other exposed fish may also have them, so you’ll need to treat the whole tank. Prazipro, dosed twice, 8 days apart is the most common treatment. Remove any carbon, turn off UV, add aeration, run a skimmer if you have one, but don’t collect the skimmate. After 8 days, do a 25% water change and redose.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Scratching on the rocks, plus the other symptoms confirms flukes.
Other exposed fish may also have them, so you’ll need to treat the whole tank. Prazipro, dosed twice, 8 days apart is the most common treatment. Remove any carbon, turn off UV, add aeration, run a skimmer if you have one, but don’t collect the skimmate. After 8 days, do a 25% water change and redose.
I have some Prazi showing up today, I’ll start first dose ASAP. Will report back, thanks!

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
I uploaded a clip to YouTube. Let me know if there’s a better video I should get. Not really sure what to look for but the spots are difficult to see on video.

Fish is breathing a little heavy and looks better than I anticipated. How are you testing water?
With good water quality and diet, this fish should come around.
Assure ammonia is .035 or less and observe fish or any itching, scratching, sudden darting and swimming path of water flow which are indicators of other issues

SteveMM62Reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Rescued Yellow Tang, that had HLLE, on just the Head, and rehomed a Blue Tang, that had Fin Damage. Can’t praise Selcon enough, gave me two beautiful fish. Fed the Yellow Tang, every day with Seven Drops of Selcon, on a Cube of San Francisco Bay, Saltwater Variety pack, and alternating it with Angel/Butterfly Fish Formula. When I saw improvements, went to every other day, with the Selcon, now at every Third Day. Fish, still get a Cube a Day, and they are Pigs. Keep the open Selcon in the Fridge.
IMG_0453.jpeg
IMG_0461.jpeg

Last edited:
OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Fish is breathing a little heavy and looks better than I anticipated. How are you testing water?
With good water quality and diet, this fish should come around.
Assure ammonia is .035 or less and observe fish or any itching, scratching, sudden darting and swimming path of water flow which are indicators of other issues
I test water with Hanna checkers and a few salifert and Red Sea test kits 2-3 times a week. Ammonia has been undetectable for as long as I remember but I’ll check again before dosing anything. I haven’t really seen it swimming into the path of water flow enough to notice it.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a Rescued Yellow Tang, that had HLLE, on just the Head, and rehomed a Blue Tang, that had Fin Damage. Can’t praise Selcon enough, gave me two beautiful fish. Fed the Yellow Tang, every day with Seven Drops of Selcon, on a Cube of San Francisco Bay, Saltwater Variety pack, and alternating it with Angel/Butterfly Fish Formula. When I saw improvements, went to every other day, with the Selcon, now at every Third Day. Fish, still get a Cube a Day, and they are Pigs. Keep the open Selcon in the Fridge.
May need to have some on hand just to boost the food occasionally, good suggestion thank you.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just did the first dose of Prazipro, will keep an eye on things as the days progress. Will do a 25% water change and dose a second round on day 8.

Some of my water parameters are as follows: temp 79F, salinity 35ppm, nitrate 30.5ppm, phos .57ppm, alk 7.5dkh.

I had my mixed corals in the prev tank at around nitrates 15-20 and phos .1-.2. But with this new setup I have not reintroduced my coral back into the tank yet. With the extra few fish and heavier feedings, not having a broken in skimmer, extra live rock/sand, no algae scrubber setup, some dead snails that didn’t survive the move, I think accounts for the raised nutrient levels. Anyway, no stability yet, but it doesn’t look too crazy. I’ll be adding my coral back to the tank once parameters seem more stable.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Quick update. Day 4 after treatment. All fish look good. The tang had some visible white spots yesterday but this morning all seem to be gone now. The breathing looks a bit better. The stomach is still slightly pinched there but that may take more time to recover I assume. All fish are eating, and active. Have not seen any rubbing on rocks today.

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@Jay Hemdal its day 7, and I think I need to do the water change/prazi second dose. I won’t be available at all tomorrow so hopefully jumping the gun on it by a day isn’t horrible practice. Let me know if this is a bad idea, mixing the water to do a 25% water change now followed up by dose 2.

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
@Jay Hemdal its day 7, and I think I need to do the water change/prazi second dose. I won’t be available at all tomorrow so hopefully jumping the gun on it by a day isn’t horrible practice. Let me know if this is a bad idea, mixing the water to do a 25% water change now followed up by dose 2.
I would. Even though spot appear gone, you now want to address any eggs and potential reproduction

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0

linzlou4

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a weird Hippo issue, do I need to make my own thread? It looks like your issue is resolved, I’m really happy for you!

A couple days ago I noticed these strange bumps on one side. I saw Jay’s posts about mucous being on only one side but the photos don’t look the same to me. They honestly looked like a human skin irritated pimple with a slight discoloration around the base, but all basically the same color as the body. The longest clip is from Monday prior to treatment.

I was able to catch and isolate, FW dip, and a couple other dips and he’s still alive with air stones two days later. I checked yesterday and the pimples actually reduced down to two. I haven’t checked today because I don’t want to keep stressing him out.

I’ve read through as many of Jay’s amazing posts and photos as I can, I’ve showed the photo around my LFS, a maintenance guy and everyone says the same thing “that’s odd”. Here’s the photo and clip from yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_2820.jpeg
    IMG_2820.jpeg
    103.1 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_2819.mov
    3 MB
  • IMG_2818.mov
    4.2 MB
  • IMG_2747.mov
    50 MB
OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I also have a weird Hippo issue, do I need to make my own thread? It looks like your issue is resolved, I’m really happy for you!

A couple days ago I noticed these strange bumps on one side. I saw Jay’s posts about mucous being on only one side but the photos don’t look the same to me. They honestly looked like a human skin irritated pimple with a slight discoloration around the base, but all basically the same color as the body. The longest clip is from Monday prior to treatment.

I was able to catch and isolate, FW dip, and a couple other dips and he’s still alive with air stones two days later. I checked yesterday and the pimples actually reduced down to two. I haven’t checked today because I don’t want to keep stressing him out.

I’ve read through as many of Jay’s amazing posts and photos as I can, I’ve showed the photo around my LFS, a maintenance guy and everyone says the same thing “that’s odd”. Here’s the photo and clip from yesterday.
If you need help with your tang, I’d recommend starting a separate thread. My issue isn’t resolved, but a work in progress. Good nutrition and water quality seems to be the best first steps in the journey. Good luck!

Jay Hemdal

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Starting your own thread is best. This post explains the needed information:

OP
OP
himynameis

himynameis

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It has been four days since the second treatment of prazipro. A couple things to note:

• The hippo tang looks generally better, (4-6) white spots that were on the sides are faded but still slightly visible. Scarring that was previously visible around the eyes is unchanged.
  • Hippo tang is still breathing too rapidly, too fast to count.
  • I have observed the hippo tang rubbing on rocks, though less frequent. Seems to favor one side.
  • Hippo tang is still very active, feeding, out and about all day.
  • Yesterday, I observed a white/gray tiny protrusion from one of the hippos eyes, still there but not very evident.
All other fish look good, displaying no visible symptoms or anything out of the ordinary.

@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 Any thoughts? Next steps? Or should I continue waiting/observing? Should I run one more dose of prazipro?

(Note: I used 1oz dose, which is what the bottle calls for 120gal. My sump is 38gal and display is 100gal. Minus rocks and sand, I deducted about 15% and this seems about how much this dose calls for)

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
13   0   0
It has been four days since the second treatment of prazipro. A couple things to note:

• The hippo tang looks generally better, (4-6) white spots that were on the sides are faded but still slightly visible. Scarring that was previously visible around the eyes is unchanged.
  • Hippo tang is still breathing too rapidly, too fast to count.
  • I have observed the hippo tang rubbing on rocks, though less frequent. Seems to favor one side.
  • Hippo tang is still very active, feeding, out and about all day.
  • Yesterday, I observed a white/gray tiny protrusion from one of the hippos eyes, still there but not very evident.
All other fish look good, displaying no visible symptoms or anything out of the ordinary.

@Jay Hemdal @vetteguy53081 Any thoughts? Next steps? Or should I continue waiting/observing? Should I run one more dose of prazipro?

(Note: I used 1oz dose, which is what the bottle calls for 120gal. My sump is 38gal and display is 100gal. Minus rocks and sand, I deducted about 15% and this seems about how much this dose calls for)
Not sure this is sworn issue but rather skin irritation and mysis mixed with ich if I recall
Coppersafe would address that however you can do a water change and one more prazi treatment if fish is responding to treatment
I assume you added air stone as prazi will reduce oxygen and even appetite

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 35 16.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 6.1%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 28 13.1%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 122 57.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 14 6.6%
Back