Hit my breaking point, thinking of leaving the hobby

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Too many changes. Also it is usually kent tech M that kills bryopsis and not really magnesium. Maintain salinity and alkalinity consistent. Don't overdo water changes. Keep it at 15 percent weekly. Do you add 1 more AI prime to increase lighting? Use the acclimation mode with prime. Let the tank run itself and you will be fine in a month. Don't go chasing numbers with nitrate, phosphate, ca, mg. I dont even have test kits for these and my tank is fine with zoas, LPS, acans and monti.
The mysterious ingredient that was in tech m that kills bryopsis is now missing. They reformulated it months ago and it no longer works. I have seen people dose hydrogen peroxide with great results. 1ml h2o2 per 10 gallons system volume daily. In this case I would recommend 2ml daily. If no results then up it to 3 ml daily.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Selective skimming is something people are doing now days. In my case I just took the plug out of the collection cup and allowed the skimmate back into the tank. Essentially my skimmer is an overpriced air stone now.
I understand, but I do feel that the skimmer has its place. I feel like maybe it should be turned on after feedings, or when a sea apple detonates in your tank, in general, wether it should be on 24/7, it should at least be there as backup.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's crazy, lfs has me dosing marine snow, reef roids, algifix, green water... I feel like I'm at the doctor and he's just pumping me full of drugs.
They wanted to sell products. I would stop with all that, stop skimming and feed your fish.

OP
OP
RMS18

RMS18

I keep water chemistry as my hobby
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The mysterious ingredient that was in tech m that kills bryopsis is now missing. They reformulated it months ago and it no longer works. I have seen people dose hydrogen peroxide with great results. 1ml h2o2 per 10 gallons system volume daily. In this case I would recommend 2ml daily. If no results then up it to 3 ml daily.
Wish I could do that, peroxide stresses my wrasse out to where it loses it color, lays on the sand all curved and breathes very heavy.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I understand, but I do feel that the skimmer has its place. I feel like maybe it should be turned on after feedings, or when a sea apple detonates in your tank, in general, wether it should be on 24/7, it should at least be there as backup.
In most cases skimming does have is place. In some it's completely obsolete. I had 13 fish and feed them a 6oz flat pack of rods monthly, reef roids or coral frenzy twice a night and still had 0 nitrates without skimming. Tank is a 40 gallon

Reefrookie220

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get rodi and make your own water. LFS water might be OK for a large system, but adding it to a 30 gal tank is risky.

Not to sound like a ******, but do you have any science behind this? Same water no matter how big of a glass box.

Oscaror

Back In It
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not super packed, looked like a bathtub but rubber.
Okay, I can at least tell you that your live rock probably isn't leeching nutrients (which you wouldn't be able to detect, as they'd be used up by algae very quickly, causing it to appear for no reason)

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not to sound like a ******, but do you have any science behind this? Same water no matter how big of a glass box.
The majority of lfs have ro water with burned up filters. They usually don't have rodi because di resin is so expensive. If your lfs has 0tds water then consider yourself lucky. Many lfs don't even use a true ro unit.... they use a filtration system that's generally used to make soft drinks.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would also suggest a new source for fresh water. Either getting a rodi unit or buying bottled distilled from your grocery store

soeminpaing

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dose peroxide before my tech M arrive. It is kinda harsh on corals and bryopsis can return even pour directly. I heard about reformulating issues but I bought my tech M through amazon about three months ago and it works. I just spray at the affected area and within a few hours bryopsis die. The alternative might be continium aquatic magnesium which works similar to tech M. Zoas can handle really clean water but thrive in a bit dirty water. Most of the time it is the alkalinity swing that stress zoas and corals.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have dose peroxide before my tech M arrive. It is kinda harsh on corals and bryopsis can return even pour directly. I heard about reformulating issues but I bought my tech M through amazon about three months ago and it works. I just spray at the affected area and within a few hours bryopsis die. The alternative might be continium aquatic magnesium which works similar to tech M. Zoas can handle really clean water but thrive in a bit dirty water. Most of the time it is the alkalinity swing that stress zoas and corals.

I agree with this for the most part. But I would like to add that corals are more sensitive to alk swings in a low nutrient system. If the nitrate was even detectable it would lessen the effects.

WHITE BUCKET CHALLENGE : How CLEAR do you think your water is in your reef aquarium? Show us your water!

• Crystal Clear

Votes: 20 35.7%
  • Mostly clear with a tint of yellow

Votes: 32 57.1%
  • More yellow than clear

Votes: 3 5.4%
  • YUCKY YELLOW

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 1 1.8%
Back