Hitchhiker or did my cleaner shrimp have babies?

toxicdave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this little guy when I was shining my light on the tank. I have 2 cleaner shrimp which makes me wonder if this is an offspring? The rock he’s on just so happens to be live rock I bought at Petco which makes me wonder if it’s a hitchhiker. What are your thoughts on what it is?

Attachments

• ED359F94-72BB-4C9D-BEBC-381CE9331C44.mov
    9.9 MB

TinyReefObsession

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Unfortunately recordings can be finicky on here. Any chance you can upload a photo?

DaJMasta

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't actually been able to load the video yet, but if you're seeing something crawling on rocks, it's not cleaner shrimp - they would be free swimming in the water column (and swim towards the light in a still tank) and take weeks of development time before they can walk around on rocks like an adult.

If they're on the rocks and they're in the 1cm or smaller ballpark, it's probably amphipods or similar.

OP
OP
toxicdave45

toxicdave45

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I haven't actually been able to load the video yet, but if you're seeing something crawling on rocks, it's not cleaner shrimp - they would be free swimming in the water column (and swim towards the light in a still tank) and take weeks of development time before they can walk around on rocks like an adult.

If they're on the rocks and they're in the 1cm or smaller ballpark, it's probably amphipods or similar.
Here are pictures

Attachments

• IMG_0092.png
    IMG_0092.png
    905.7 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0090.jpeg
    IMG_0090.jpeg
    247.9 KB · Views: 46

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I found this little guy when I was shining my light on the tank. I have 2 cleaner shrimp which makes me wonder if this is an offspring? The rock he’s on just so happens to be live rock I bought at Petco which makes me wonder if it’s a hitchhiker. What are your thoughts on what it is?
Gammarus amphipod. Usually harmless cleaning crew and potential fish food, but if their breeding is uncontested by fish or shrimp they can turn into a pest that eats coral.
I personally hate them an used palaemon elegans shrimps to eradicate them.

Seansea

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just an amphipod. Big one. Fish food. I had tons whe. My tank first started but wrasses make quick work of them.

BillB83

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i used to have all sorts of critters like this in my one LPS tank until i put a six line and 2 springer damsels in it and they have eaten everything

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 31 16.0%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.7%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.9%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 114 58.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 6.2%
Back