How about listing an item in our Beta Marketplace?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Could this lend to a “Canada” filter?

You should already be able to filter by country! Please add something so we can test it! :p

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
What is a "market percent fee"?

The 8% includes the ~3% that Stripe takes and the rest of the fee is the R2R fee.

This is less than the ~13% eBay fee. It's still about a 5% fee for R2R.

That being said, Sellers can still use the existing sales forum and manage all their sales via PM as they do now but we think they will find that this new marketplace really improves the entire experience for both the sellers and the buyers. Making a listing is easier, finding something you want is easier, trusting the process is easier, finding a buyer is easier. While R2R charges a fee to use the new marketplace if your buyers purchase through the platform using a credit card, this market will still allow for you to make your listing "offline" and the seller and the buyer can work out the pricing via PM and there would be 0 fees.

To reiterate some of the value add it's bringing we think it's:

1. Much easier for buyers and sellers to use. the existing sales forum loses a lot of traffic because it's not a traditional marketplace and hard to sort through and then a bit of a hassle to PM back and forth and make purchases. This will lead to many many more eyeballs viewing listings for sellers.

2. The ability to search for items you want either through preexisting filters like livestock > corals to location-based searching. The existing forum is hard to find things if you aren't just casually perusing it every day.

3. Ratings and public feedback. Both buyers and sellers are rated after each transaction and the feedback will show up on their profile and in the public forums that are made for each listing.

On the original marketplace I have it set to show me items that are for sale in California. I tried doing it in the new marketplace and could only narrow down to location/cities. Could you add a feature to show items by state like in the old marketplace please?

I will get this worked out.

I asked but haven't received a response. I know that stripe's fee is 2.99% (same as paypal) but not sure what the 5%ish "market percent fee" is. Personally, I rather just use paypal. Don't forget that you also get a 1099 (US seller) at the end of the year for taxes. :(

Personally, I like the old marketplace. If it's not broke - don't fix it. Many sellers are selling equipment at a loss already - the 3% Paypal hit is bad enough. As a partner and supporter, I do my part to support the forum ... adding 5% to the marketplace may be another revenue stream for R2R but it will not benefit the members.
Kudos to making the beta pretty but the existing one is easy to scan for key words ... love that I can just click "Florida" and limit my view to what would be in the state for better chances of survival vs DOA.
Sorry if that sounds negative ... just honest feedback.

No worries and thanks for the input and support. We're not going to remove the old market way of doing things. In the new market you can also look at the MAP view and see everything in your state.

1625151530621.png

Is the old marketplace going to be shut down if this one is failing?

We are not going to do away with the old market way of doing things.

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also the filters and categories we have now are just something to start with and play with. We would LOVE to see your suggestions on what could be added to both of those areas. What are some better filters to us for searching out items? What are some categories that we should add for selling?

lynn.reef.nerd

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
3   0   0
The 8% includes the ~3% that Stripe takes and the rest of the fee is the R2R fee.

That being said, Sellers can still use the existing sales forum and manage all their sales via PM as they do now but we think they will find that this new marketplace really improves the entire experience for both the sellers and the buyers. Making a listing is easier, finding something you want is easier, trusting the process is easier, finding a buyer is easier. While R2R charges a fee to use the new marketplace if your buyers purchase through the platform using a credit card, this market will still allow for you to make your listing "offline" and the seller and the buyer can work out the pricing via PM and there would be 0 fees.

1. Much easier for buyers and sellers to use. the existing sales forum loses a lot of traffic because it's not a traditional marketplace and hard to sort through and then a bit of a hassle to PM back and forth and make purchases. This will lead to many many more eyeballs viewing listings for sellers.

2. The ability to search for items you want either through preexisting filters like livestock > corals to location-based searching. The existing forum is hard to find things if you aren't just casually perusing it every day.

3. Ratings and public feedback. Both buyers and sellers are rated after each transaction and the feedback will show up on their profile and in the public forums that are made for each listing.

No worries and thanks for the input and support. We're not going to remove the old market way of doing things. In the new market you can also look at the MAP view and see everything in your state.

1625151530621.png

Does that mean that we are not able to rate sellers/buyers if we chose to use a different form of transaction?

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
To reiterate.

The market has a fee ONLY if you choose to accept payment through our system.

The market is FREE to use if you set your listing up WITHOUT online payment as seen below.

Untitled-2 copy.jpg

BantyRooster97

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Love the idea and set-up of the new marketplace, hate the idea of an additiona 5% fee, just for R2R (no offense). That seems very steep, and what does it do for the members of the site. I'm sure its a lot of work to run the site, but.....

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Love the idea and set-up of the new marketplace, hate the idea of an additiona 5% fee, just for R2R (no offense). That seems very steep, and what does it do for the members of the site. I'm sure its a lot of work to run the site, but.....

We are into 5 figures already building this out. Eventually it will be so full of tools that directly benefit the hobbyists that it will be well worth it. Plus Ebay is like 13% I believe. But again......

To reiterate.

The market is FREE to use if you set your listing up WITHOUT online payment as seen below.

Untitled-2 copy.jpg

OP
OP
revhtree

revhtree

Owner Administrator
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Also in your profile or the profile of others you can find market info from the new system.

Untitled-3.jpg

CMMorgan

Counting my blessings...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

1625151530621.png

Agreed that Ebay fees are much higher. This feels targeted at the reefers that are hobbyists turned into a side hustle / small business, whereas the OG marketplace feels more reefer helping reefer and off selling things they do not need anymore. Agreed that we have some members that use the marketplace as a venue to host that small business, while not being sponsors. I do understand R2R looking to support the site with a revenue stream from those sellers, as they are benefiting in some cases without contributing.
The ability to rate sellers is a good thing, as I received a broken protein skimmer and the seller then failed to make good on his commitments to help me obtain parts from Red Sea. There are shady people everywhere.

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
We are into 5 figures already building this out. Eventually it will be so full of tools that directly benefit the hobbyists that it will be well worth it. Plus Ebay is like 13% I believe. But again......

To reiterate.

Untitled-2 copy.jpg
Rev,
What is the attraction to sell WITH online payment? Why should I sell with that payment as opposed to PayPal? What benefit do i have as a seller and/or buyer?

I am in favor of a fee for R2R to generate more income stream because after all this is a business and your business does a great job at connecting members of the reefing hobby and your hard work should be compensated.

Thanks!

wmb0003

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Rev,
What is the attraction to sell WITH online payment? Why should I sell with that payment as opposed to PayPal? What benefit do i have as a seller and/or buyer?

I am in favor of a fee for R2R to generate more income stream because after all this is a business and your business does a great job at connecting members of the reefing hobby and your hard work should be compensated.

Thanks!
I re-read your post and I think I understand. Please correct me if I am wrong.

There will now be an additional page/marketplace that if you sell WITH online payment your listing will be there as well as the forum page.

If you chose the traditional method WITHOUT online payment, your listing is only on the forum page and not on the new interface.

EDIT: I re-read again and I think it says the interface can be used if you chose WITHOUT online payment. So I just don't understand what the incentive is to sell WITH online payment.

Last edited:

Not_Eeyore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not being able to edit my old market sales post to later add pictures was an unwelcome surprise. I will separate my items and put them in the new market and then remove the old post.

Not_Eeyore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is location snooping mandatory to create a listing in the new market? Scranton, Pa is a pretty big city to "not be found" by name or zip code. As soon as I turned off Privacy Badger a request popped up to allow location snooping. As a commercial truck driver with a multi=state route....I am going to scramble that often.
1625211091700.png

Not_Eeyore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes, location snooping is mandatory so when anyone posts a listing they are reporting their location to every other site they vist thanks to CNAME Collusion. Barf.

Not_Eeyore

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Previous post about this vanished. Wonky Verizon. Location snooping for the new market is mandatory. It was unable to find a fairly large city (Scranton, Pa) by name or zip code and would not allow the listing until I allow access to my location. As a commercial truck driver with a multi-state route...this would often be scrambled for me. It also communicates your location to every other website using CNAME Collusion (currently about 10% of the largest sites. Barf.
1625214110003.png

LadyTang2

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Never sold on here, how am I more protected as a seller with stripe and fee? When do I get the money and ensure I dont get taken advantage of after sending item, do I collect before shipping?

And how is this different from old forum?

Leadfooted

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I would hope most would be glad to add the 5% "Fee", it's really a tip, not a fee. It's a great way to give back and support R2R and after all, they wouldn't have seen the item for sale had it not been made available on R2R to begin with. As a seller myself, I would/will factor in this 8% for my prices as well. I just set up my stripe, sent a text and all looks good. Just here to support and appreciate the efforts to improve.
IMG_4228.jpeg

Looking back to your reefing roots: Did you start with Instant Ocean salt?

• I started with Instant Ocean salt.

Votes: 180 72.3%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt, but I have used it at some point.

Votes: 17 6.8%
  • I did not start with Instant Ocean salt and have not used it.

Votes: 46 18.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 2.4%
Back