How are you properly managing nutrients in your tank?

Gumbies R Us

Another Fish in the Sea
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I feel like we do for our tanks is managing proper nutrient levels for our tanks. Maybe we achieve this by not over feeding our tanks or by running a proper protein skimmer. I am wondering how do you manage nutrients in your tank? Curious to see what everyone says!

Cthulukelele

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My strategy for nutrient management is skimmer, refugium with chaeto and 30 pounds of live rock, and occasional manual hair algae removal. I think the 57w uv sterilizer also probably helps break down certain coloring agents and floating biological material to be skimmed out by the skimmer. Tank usually reads between 0 and 10 ppm nitrate. Never really test phosphate.

IMO most of the time nowadays if you have a decent setup stripping nutrients is a bigger deal that too many nutrients for most hobbyist tanks.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
One thing I feel like we do for our tanks is managing proper nutrient levels for our tanks. Maybe we achieve this by not over feeding our tanks or by running a proper protein skimmer. I am wondering how do you manage nutrients in your tank? Curious to see what everyone says!
Rock, Roller Mat, Skimmer and carbon dosing.
Fish only fed by auto feeder x 3 times a day

5-10 ppm NO3 and 0.05-0.10 ppm PO4 rock steady

MrGisonni

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Live rock, filter sock, protein skimmer and a little bit of gfo and of course water changes. If nutrients start to bottom out I let the tank go without a water change for an extra week or so feed Reef roids to increase phosphates and feed a little more. For me it's a little bit of up and down back and forth balancing act to keep nitrates and phosphates where I want them.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back