How big can I go?

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I need to know how much flow my overflow can handle. The tank is a standard 120 gallon reef ready Perfecto, the overflow is 8" wide and 23"tall and the drain tube is 1.5" ID and the return is 1" ID. The drain line has a durso standpipe. I currently use a Mag Drive 12 pump to return the water from the sump to the tank. With head loss it probably pushes 850 GPH. I have a ball valve on the drain line that is dialed back so I know I still have room to upgrade to a larger pump but how large can I go? I was hoping to get the new Danner HY-Drive 3,200GPH pump with 1,950GPH after head loss. Is this possible?

chadfarmer

profilux in the house
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
dual over flows estimate 600 GPH per drain to be safe
700 max and will be noisy

why would you want that much flow run through your sump

unless you have a hugh sump you will be sucking micro bubbles back up to the tank

OP
OP
Rickyrooz

Rickyrooz

Acropora Nut
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was thinking about getting a bigger return pump for more turnover in the tank. Right now I have two Koralia 4's but I want my powerheads on a wavemaker and the Koralia's I have cannot be used with a wavemaker. I don't want to spend $880 on two Tunze 6010 with a 7095 controller. I thought $170 for a 3,200GPH return pump was a better deal.

Back