How can I get some nutrients in my tank?

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok Folks, Iv'e been getting fairly stable readings for over a month. I would like them a little higher but hey, After all the hassle & messin with it, I'm not worrying about raising anything right now ! They are all with in range suggested by Advanced Aquarist I think Randy wrote the article. I got the N03 up to >3 & Po4 to 0.1 and slooowly rising . I haven't needed the stump remover in a couple of weeks. & have been using Mrs Wages in the ato.
Thanks for all the suggestions !

OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hello, It's been a while, So Was it me that wanted more nutrients in my tank? Well despite zero No3's & Po4", After I Installed the new T5 lights. I got plenty of HA ! So There must be some nutrients in there all ready !
The rock is Ok but the sand bed looked like my lawn . I have decided to siphon the SB out a little at a time. I will leave some between the rock work etc. did a big water change on the tank last night & will check levels tonight to see where I stand on that !
Also could somebody "Please" tell me how to get rid of this letter style !

Charterreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Evening, So I setup a 75 last November. I have about 20 various corals ,softies, lps and 2 sps.Also one Copperband with a bunch of snails & hermits. I have a very large skimmer in the sump. My problem everybody looks all bleached out ,no color just getting by. Water parameters are all good( I can give You details if needed) I'm "pretty" sure lighting is Ok. except there are no NO3 or Po4's zero! Verified by my trusted LFS. So I have several options I know of and sure there are others I don't know of. I strongly suspect with the low bioload , the oversized skimmer is stripping everything out of the water.
I can add some more fish,but haven't found exactly what I want. I can overfeed, I can unplug the skimmer for a certain amount of time. Last night, I unplugged the skimmer for the night and turned it on this morning.Should I turn it off during the day or night? I already removed the sock,and stopped rinsing food in RO. Can I feed the red juice from the rinsed food ? There's got to be some nutrients in that! I have a bunch of questions and don't know yet what they are ! LOL Also my prob could be unrelated.
Any insight on how to solve this would be appreciated .
I dose Seachem Flourish Phosphorus to SLIGHTLY increase my PO4 level (like .02). The label has simple to understand instructions to increase levels. I also use Calcium Nitrate to make a stock solution to address nitrate levels. I find this much more controllable (and easier) than overfeeding the fish.
For example; after adding a half a cap full of Seachem Flourish ( I think that was 5 ml) to a 300 gallon system my sps got noticeably darker in several days. I had previously removed all the phosphate from overuse of GFO and my sps were noticeably pale.
That was several months ago and my tank is doing fine. My tank is a very low nutrient system.

Last edited:
OP
OP
cracker

cracker

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
never used seachem. After installing the new lighting my corals have responded very well. even a favia I was sure was a gonner is getting some color back . I may check that out. For now I'm not concerned with low nutrients like I was. For now I'm concentrating on keeping Alk Mg & Ca levels balanced and stable. I do have one encrusting sps That is actually growing a little. When I manage to keep them alive & looking healthy ,I'll certainly work on improving the conditions. I have been keeping corals for some years now. I must confess my success has been poor ! Thanks again for all the help.

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.8%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 13 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.8%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 137 58.5%
  • Other.

Votes: 16 6.8%

Back