How can Seachem Stability work in both salt and fresh?

Grosea13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have always kept Cichlids and decided to setup a 20 gal reef tank beside my bed. I bought a 6 gallon setup from a guy which already had fish. Parameters were stable and there was alot of bio media in the mini sump. So I added that to the 20 gal setup. Saw some ammonia last night and my local reef store was closed today. So I went to petco and all they had was stability. I read up on it and they claim its used for both salt and fresh. How is this achieved? Is it a special bacteria that works for both? Could I use some super established media from the cichlid tank (originally seeded and maintained with stability) also i havent used copper in the cichlid tank for months. Im confident I can handle this mini cycle. But if the FW BB works in SW that's an even easier way to beat the cycle. I see somewhat mixed results when I look this up. But if it is a special bacteria (that also is in my FW setup) couldnt it switch over and survive?

MaxxuM

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Though the ingredients are largely industrial secrets, there are multiple types of bacteria in these bottles. Some of the bacteria is modified/bred to survive in a wide array of environments. There are several types of bacteria that can also live in extreme environments as well.

fnlyreefready

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
So i have always kept Cichlids and decided to setup a 20 gal reef tank beside my bed. I bought a 6 gallon setup from a guy which already had fish. Parameters were stable and there was alot of bio media in the mini sump. So I added that to the 20 gal setup. Saw some ammonia last night and my local reef store was closed today. So I went to petco and all they had was stability. I read up on it and they claim its used for both salt and fresh. How is this achieved? Is it a special bacteria that works for both? Could I use some super established media from the cichlid tank (originally seeded and maintained with stability) also i havent used copper in the cichlid tank for months. Im confident I can handle this mini cycle. But if the FW BB works in SW that's an even easier way to beat the cycle. I see somewhat mixed results when I look this up. But if it is a special bacteria (that also is in my FW setup) couldnt it switch over and survive?
Find someone local with established tank and ask to have some of their media or pay them for it , it will pay off in the long run. Also Tim’s makes a nice product for saltwater cycling that will speed up the process and help with. New tank syndrome

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 45 21.3%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 73 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 70 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back