How close can differnt Zoa frags be placed to one another?

WIlliam_24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have two rocks right next to each other that are going to be devoted to zoas, pallys, buttons (new to the hobby so if you could explain the defferance since some look so similar) as of now i have 4 differant zoa frags spaced about 2 inches apart on the rock. Is this to close or is that how you achieve the ( zoa garden look) will one out compeat the other? what is the normal spacing between zoas? Thanks for your help!

DeniseAndy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will compete for space, and the faster growing and large usually win out for light and room. They however do not fight with chemical warfare/ eat each other that I have experienced. If you notice some not thriving, move them away to a better location to give own room to grow.

DanTer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree with the above, yet I do have 2 or 3 different zoas growing together on the same rock (actually making contact with one another) and they seem to both be thriving equally. As for the difference between zoas and palys, I THINK palys incorporate substrate particles in the construction of their stalks (don't quote me on this). I'd imagine you want what many would refer to as a zoa garden, typically smaller, colorful polyps. IME and what I've read/seen from others, button polyps tend to be a brown/green with longer stalks and bigger polyps, spreading much more rapidly. I know some people consider them pests. Also, there are many factors that determine a polyp's size and stalk length, so keep that in mind.

OP
OP
WIlliam_24

WIlliam_24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They will compete for space, and the faster growing and large usually win out for light and room. They however do not fight with chemical warfare/ eat each other that I have experienced. If you notice some not thriving, move them away to a better location to give own room to grow.
Thanks for the help

OP
OP
WIlliam_24

WIlliam_24

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just another idea. I put different zoas on their own rocks and pile the rocks next to each other. If they pressure each other too much, I take the rocks out and frag around the edges. Then I put them back, and let grow together again.
Awesome idea!

rosshamsandwich

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
they are fine growing next to each other..and they even produce unique color morphs

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 44 21.2%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 72 34.6%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 69 33.2%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 19 9.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 1.9%
Back