How "cool" are these little guys? Balloon Lumpfish (Eumicrotremus pacificus)

BarbH

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very cool looking fish and adorable. The sucker on their belly is one of the oddest things.

Sent from my SCH-R720 using Tapatalk 2

AquaticEngineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
They are lumpsuckers and are native to the PNW and Puget Sound area.
They only come out during the winter however.

That is true of the species native to the PNW, which is the Eumicrotremus Orbis ( Pacific Spiny Lumpsucker)

They are the only species of Eumicrotremus found in Puget sound, but there are at least 5 species found in Northern Japan / Eastern Russia around the Sea of Okhotsk.

There is also an Atlantic Spiny Lumpsucker (Eumicrotremus spinosus) which looks very similar to the above species as well.

We will eventually have them all. Just a matter of time ;)

dhnguyen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well really what you want are the Pacific Spiny Lumpsuckers anyhow. These remain small and are cute. The Atlantic ones not so much once they reach adulthood

AquaticEngineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well really what you want are the Pacific Spiny Lumpsuckers anyhow. These remain small and are cute. The Atlantic ones not so much once they reach adulthood

The North Atlantic Lumpfish ( Cyclopterus lumpus) will get large and *****. But the Atlantic spiny lumpsuckers (Eunicrotremus spinosus) do not.

C.M.A. Josh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
well really what you want are the Pacific Spiny Lumpsuckers anyhow. These remain small and are cute. The Atlantic ones not so much once they reach adulthood[/QUOTWe are looking bringing in the Pacific spiny lumps also for breeding soon anough but all the lumpsuckers we are bringing in all look about the same just different colors.E]

ritter6788

Coral Fraud Private Eye
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My cousin's pic from FB. She lives in Maine.
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1341609357.671711.jpg

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wish I could, but condensation not good

I wouldn't mind having a few,but Iwould have to get rid of my entire reef tank(75g) livestock to do it. I have a 1/4 hp chiller that might get the tank down to the correct temp. Just one thing, it would sweat severly all the time. I would have to drop temp from 83F to 60F. 23 degressCondensation ouch!!!

COOL LOOKING when young. If someone has a tank now with them, please post some pics of the system and fish? Thanks

Shep

Acan Connoisseur
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Haha awesome!

AquaticEngineer

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
These guys could be kept in a Nano coldwater tank, just get something made of 1/2" acrylic or thicker and in most places you are good on preventing condensation. 1" is ideal though :)

On the facebook Coldwater discussion group there is a guy in WA state selling a 20x20x18" brand new rimless tank with internal overflow made of 3/4" acrylic for $200. Just add a chiller ;)

scardall

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
www.ColdwaterMarineAquatics.com

We should be getting some later this month :)
this link requires a password. As far as I know these fish are not available to the general public. I have not seen a viable link in many years now.v Most of the pics are 5+ years old. Good Luck All.

COLDWATER MARINE AQUATICS
It is with a heavy heart that I send this message. Coldwater Marine Aquatics will be shutting down its collecting business and retail website of temperate marine livestock for a while. Unfortunately the time needed to effectively run the business along side our current day jobs and family just wasn't there anymore. Both Josh and myself will still be actively involved as temperate marine aquarium hobbyists and hope to see all of your amazing Coldwater aquariums flourish. We will continue to help source livestock through referrals to the many other collectors and resources we've found and provide advice and information however we can. Hopefully the time needed to collect, import, export, ship, and run the business will again be there soon, but for the immediate future we will be closing up shop. You can still reach us by email at [email protected] or visit the Coldwater Marine Aquarium Owners Group on facebook at www.facebook.com/groups/coldwaterowners to get more information on livestock, equipment, or husbandry for coldwater systems. Keep on chilling, Stu Wobbe Coldwater Marine Aquatics

Pacific Island Aquatics

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is anybody still looking for these? We have about 10 of them arriving Thursday. They are $125 each. If interested, message us for pics. They are the E. pacificus and are all 1-1.5" in size.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 24 24.5%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 69 70.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 3 3.1%
Back