How did I turn my reef around?

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 240 gallon display, 350 gallon system. It's a little over a year old. Up until 3 months ago, I was losing corals like crazy, I lost several thousand $$ worth of coral. The only things that did ok were easy starter corals like zoas or mushrooms. SPS would quickly die within a week or two whenever I tried to introduce it, even monti caps and green slimers. Torches would last a couple months. Hammers were hit or miss, I still have some that survived from back then, but some would seem ok and then suddenly die, one head at a time.

My parameters have always been pretty stable, nitrates between 10 and 20, phosphates from .1 to .2. I keep alk around 9. Salinity is 1.026, temp 78.

I run a skimmer, roller mat, and algae scrubber. I also use carbon. I have a calcium reactor. I dose phyto. I do daily 5 gallon auto water changes.

3 months ago, I decided to violate a cardinal rule in reefing, and introduced several changes all at once. I know this isn't what I should have done "in the interest of science", but I'm impatient and didn't want to take the time to try them one at a time. And there has been a massive improvement! SPS is not only surviving, but growing! My zoas are growing like crazy. Torches are doing well. It's like night and day.

Here's what I did:

Salt: Two of my mentors (an LFS owner and a coral farmer with a PhD in chemistry) both strongly (and independently) recommended that I change salt. So I changed from Brightwell salt to Tropic Marin pro reef. They were adamant that the Brightwell salt was the cause of my problems. I'm still skeptical about this, many people have great success with Brightwell, including two different coral farmers I know. But it was easy enough to change salt, so I did.

Carbon dosing: I started dosing carbon, using Tropic Marin Elimi-NP. I ramped up to 5.5 ml, dosed in the morning.

Kalk: To get more PH stability, I decided to turn down my calcium reactor and start dosing kalk. I dose 10 liters of kalk/day, 80% of it at night.

Trace elements: I started Reef Moonshiners. Here's the issues my initial ICP test (ATI) showed, which I went on to correct with RM Elements:
Potassium at 371, RM wanted me to raise to 410
Bromine, Boron, Molybdenum low.
Fluoride at .39, RM wanted me to raise to 1.5
Iodine 16.6, RM wants 75-95.
Barium elevated at 62, it's since dropped to 33. RM wants 15.
Nickel 0, RM wants 2.5
Zinc 2.33, RM wants 5

So out of all of these things, can anyone guess what turned my tank around? Each of these changes was an improvement (except for perhaps the salt), but would any of them make the difference between corals dying and thriving? Maybe the reef moonshiners? But with nothing really growing in my tank, and since I was doing regular water changes, it's hard to see how my traces could become depleted to the point that everything died. The tank had pretty much what was in the salt mix. If the issues with Brightwell salt were true, that would explain it, but I'm skeptical of that. You might say that the tank just turned a corner because of maturity, but I'm skeptical of that too. It was too much of a dramatic sudden improvement after I implemented the changes above.

Timfish

Crusty Old Salt
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Consider that Maybe none of what you did caused the change. If you look at Nilsen and Fossa's book series "Thee Modern Coral Reef Aquarium" roughly in the last third of the first year of a new tank things come around. Back in the real estate crash od 2007 one of the systems I was taking maintaining was a built in in a newly vacated house. Over the next 2 1/2 years it was crashed 3 times by potential buyers either leaving doors open and the tank getting too warm or an electrician leaving the power off for 3 days. Each time the client chose not to put any effort into remediating the system but just do the minimal weekly maintenance to keep any surviving animals alive. (Mostly I think they just wanted someone showing up on a regular basis and checking on the house.) If convinient I would add cheap overflow coral from other systems or rehomed fish other aquairsts needed to get rid of. In all three cases with just doing small weekly water change totaling about 30% monthly the algae problems dissappeared and stuff started to thrive again pretty much following the Nilsen and FOssa's chart on pg 164 of the first volume of thier series.

Salty_Northerner

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
All I can say is the farm that I've been purchasing my Coral from lately uses Brightwell salt and all of his corals are huge and super colorful.

Everybody has an opinion about what salt is the best but I'm on board with you and your two independent guys that recommended switching to the pro reef salt. And like you said, you changed too many things at once. I believe in the long run you will be happy that you did switch salt no doubt about it. You also mentioned using elimi NP so I guess with the lower level of carbon dosing you're feeding your corals so that would be my guess.

That's the thing with this hobby is people including myself want to see improvements like right now! But sometimes a person just needs to do what they need to to turn things around. Obviously it was a coin toss on what you did and the odds were in your favor this time. When I tried doing what you did by switching salt brands things didn't go to all for me but there was other factors involved.

Also glad to hear your tank is turned around!

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If anything helped, it was probably the Reef Moonshiners. The salt would make no difference. I think it was a combination of tank maturing and dosing RM.

bushdoc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No experience with Brightwell salt, but Tropic Marin is regarded by many reefers af one of the best. I think dosing Kalk might have been major factor in your success as pH stability and higher pH increases coral calcification and growth according to many reefers.
Other reason why I think it’s Kalk, is the fact that I think it would take longer for trace elements to start having effect, also I presume you did gradual water changes and transitioning to different salt. The only fast acting change was Kalk.

Last edited:

Bozburn

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Very interesting. I have lost all the SPS in my tank and have started Moonshiners since my last ones died.

Ordered a few easy ones this past weekend to see if my system can keep them alive.

Currently battling dinos but want to start carbon dosing once I get that under control and get my phosphates back up (currently at .01).

Do you dose any bacteria? Did you start with dry rock or live rock?

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don't dose bacteria. I started with dry rock. I did dose some denitrifying bacteria back in the beginning. I ordered a bacteria diversity test from Aquabiomics a few months ago, and the results I got back were mostly positive.

jda

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most cases, just time and maturity gets the job done. People think that they last thing, or things, that they did were the difference, but often those things were just along for the ride when it was time.

OP
OP
D

Dave-T

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In most cases, just time and maturity gets the job done. People think that they last thing, or things, that they did were the difference, but often those things were just along for the ride when it was time.
Maybe. But the thing I didn't really articulate was that I was adding new corals very regularly, over the whole period that everything was dying, into the period that they stopped dying and started growing. And it was like a switch was flipped very suddenly, which coincided with the changes I talked about above. I thought someone would say it was due to maturity, but I’m not convinced.

MnFish1

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Maybe. But the thing I didn't really articulate was that I was adding new corals very regularly, over the whole period that everything was dying, into the period that they stopped dying and started growing. And it was like a switch was flipped very suddenly, which coincided with the changes I talked about above. I thought someone would say it was due to maturity, but I’m not convinced.
I wonder if you were adding corals compatible with each other and your fish. I have always used Brightwell - so not sure how that would make a difference - I've never used Moonshiners - so not sure about that. IMHO - its kalk and time

YOYOYOReefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It could be the tropic Marin. Are you adjusting the alk? when you mix your salt? I find tropic Marin closer to wher my reef runs and it mixes easily and is clean. , I’ve used friz, Brit well, io , and several others over the years. All worked fine but needed to have all adjusted

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 37 15.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 14 5.9%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.4%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 30 12.7%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 138 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 17 7.2%
Back