How did you plumb your overflow boxes?

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to see what everyone has done for their side drilled overflows to make them silent. I going to be using overflow box that is siliconed to the side of my tank and haven't found a consensus on the best way to plumb these. Can you share pictures of your setup? Below is a similar overflow box to what I am using and a digital sketch of plumbing I am thinking of using.
1578361851256.png
1578361764935.png

OP
OP
Sailfin11

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
5   0   0
how many holes?
If 2, I might try and do some sort of hybrid herbie, with the full siphon 90 facing down and the emergency drain facing up.
If 3, try a modified hybrid bean some how.

Tough to judge without seeing it in person.

manderx

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a silent herbie-inspired drain off a single hole in the back with no external box that i ran for 12+ years with no problems whatsoever.

the yellow circle is the drain bulkhead. blue lines are water draining down to sump. red line is return. green dot is a vent hole.

the water wants to go straight down the line with the gate valve. gate valve is set to act as a balanced full siphon, just open enough for 99-100% the water and no air. the remaining 1% (if any) backs up and goes up and over then down, just like the second line on a herbie.

rotating the whole assembly sets the water level inside the overflow box. you want it high enough to fully submerge the bulkhead. the bulkhead opening inside my overflow box was close enough to the box wall that i didn't have to worry about anything clogging the inside hole. depending on yours, might need a strainer or gutter-guard since it's a single point that could clog.

drain.jpg
WP_20150307_002.jpg

OP
OP
Sailfin11

Sailfin11

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
here's a silent herbie-inspired drain off a single hole in the back with no external box that i ran for 12+ years with no problems whatsoever.

the yellow circle is the drain bulkhead. blue lines are water draining down to sump. red line is return. green dot is a vent hole.

the water wants to go straight down the line with the gate valve. gate valve is set to act as a balanced full siphon, just open enough for 99-100% the water and no air. the remaining 1% (if any) backs up and goes up and over then down, just like the second line on a herbie.

rotating the whole assembly sets the water level inside the overflow box. you want it high enough to fully submerge the bulkhead. the bulkhead opening inside my overflow box was close enough to the box wall that i didn't have to worry about anything clogging the inside hole. depending on yours, might need a strainer or gutter-guard since it's a single point that could clog.

drain.jpg
WP_20150307_002.jpg
Thank you so much! This is a cool idea that I have not seen before :)

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 63 34.4%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 31.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back