How do I get rid of algae is there a fish that can eat algae because I bought a Tomini Tang and he did nothing.

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What fish will work from y’all’s personal experience to be honest I will be okay with chemicals but I prefer fish because J don’t have many I just ordered a biota yellow tang do you guys think he will help?

fishski13

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
60 gallons and lots of hair algae just when I scrub it off with a tooth brush particles get everywhere and also there is some kind of algae growing on the rocks.
So you are pretty maxed out with tangs, I wouldn't have both a tomini and yellow in a 60 gallon.

For other fish, you could try an algae blenny, but hairline algae is not something much fish will eat.

The best animal for hairline algae is probably the sea hare, very good at devouring hairline.

But overall I would reexamine your parameters and see what the cause of the problem is and work your way from there to prevent more from growing.

Upvote 1

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
What fish will work from y’all’s personal experience to be honest I will be okay with chemicals but I prefer fish because J don’t have many I just ordered a biota yellow tang do you guys think he will help?
Tomini will not do much. Kole eye is one of the best. Yellow will eat but wont be able to keep up.
You state you have algae but no mention of which type and any pics under white light will be very helpful. Tank size does not matter as is the source of the algae.

Upvote 1
OP
OP
G

Gabe aqua

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Tomini will not do much. Kole eye is one of the best. Yellow will eat but wont be able to keep up.
You state you have algae but no mention of which type and any pics under white light will be very helpful. Tank size does not matter as is the source of the algae.
Yeah I take some in the morning and make a new post but my levels are pretty normal also I don’t overfeed.

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
Yeah I take some in the morning and make a new post but my levels are pretty normal also I don’t overfeed.
What is your ammonia-nitrate-phosphate and Ph levels?
What test kits are you using ?

Upvote 0

Duffer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you have hair algae you have phosphates, Fix the issue that is causing it,which probably is your phosphates are high..urchin will definitely work,but they will move corals around..

Upvote 0

vetteguy53081

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
I am using Red Sea for nitrate and it 5.0 ppm and ammonia and nitrite are 0 and I use api and ph is 8.3 and I use a Hanna checker.
Im concerned on ammonia why I asked and as you may know, Api notorious for false readings often showing zero but lets see pics and go from there.

Upvote 1

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 36 23.5%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 52 34.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 46 30.1%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 9.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 2.6%
Back