How do I get the zoa gardens from frags?

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a few small frag plugs with some cool zoas that seem to be open and doing well (armor of the gods, dragon eyes, and green bays). I would love for them to turn into a large mixed zoa colony like I see in tanks. They are all on the sand bed now on their plugs. Do I just cut off the stem of the plug and glue them to a rock? If so, how close to I put them together? Should I let the frag plug get mostly covered before I do? Will they sting one another?

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nope, no cutting.
If you want to create this
7kTXxuz.jpg

You need a stable balance in your tank and lots of patience.
Nothing good will happen in this hobby overnight, only bad things do that.

Blackhawk Fan

Jedi Reefer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You could let them grow out on the plugs until they cover the top. Use a bandsaw, maybe someone in your reef club has one if you don't, and cut the stem off the bottom of the plug so only the disc is left with the polyps. Then with a bandsaw, cut the disc into two or three smaller frags. Find a rock you like and glue the smaller frags all over the rock in different places. Leave space so that you can add other zoas into the mix before it fills in.
I hope that makes sense. :)

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
The band saw sounds like tons of work lol, zoas are super easy to remove from plugs, given the proper saftey measures are taken. But just putting them near each other even on the plug and letting them multiply will work perfectly

OP
OP
shollis2814

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. @Diesel , that is a beautiful picture.
I know it will take patience. I just have all the plugs on the bottom of the tank. Some of the frags only have 3-5 polyps right now and I didn't want to start putting them too close together if they would sting one another.

I have some large cutters that will snip through the frag plugs I have. I'll let the frags get a few more polyps on them and start looking for the right rock.

BoneXriffic

GO BLUE!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks everyone. @Diesel , that is a beautiful picture.
I know it will take patience. I just have all the plugs on the bottom of the tank. Some of the frags only have 3-5 polyps right now and I didn't want to start putting them too close together if they would sting one another.

I have some large cutters that will snip through the frag plugs I have. I'll let the frags get a few more polyps on them and start looking for the right rock.
Id find a pourous enough rock to just stick the base of the plugs in and let the zoas have their way with the rock tonsave the hassle of messing with plugs

Salt-Lick

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You can glue the frag plugs to the rock. Space out for growth. If the frags have the nipple cut it off with snips is what I do. If you don't the plugs glued to the rock you can take a scalpel and peel the zoas off the plug and then glue them to the rock.

OP
OP
shollis2814

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@that Reef Guy thanks for that link. I have a 3D printer at work. I may try printing a more rudimentary rock skeleton. That site also had a frag plug tree that looks like some 3D printed stuff on a plexiglass rod.

@Salt-Lick , Thanks. I am not ready to start messing with zoas like that (read too many palytoxin stories). Hopefully, the plug will not be noticeable :)

OP
OP
shollis2814

shollis2814

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks, that's why I don't pull them off the plugs. I don't wear gloves just to rearrange them, but if I have to dip or clean algae off, I have some gloves and an old pair of range goggles.

drheacock

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have used a concrete drill bit the size of the plug stem and a hammer drill to put holes in a rock I took out of my display. Works nicely.

Psiber_Syn

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Found this rock at the lfs old coral skeleton so soft to drill also like the plugs not glued in so I can re arrange when needed or pull them and frag some etc

20160501_215117.jpg

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 61 33.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 6 3.3%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 48 26.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 58 32.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.4%
Back