How do I trim this monster? :)

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't take it out of the tank. It's attached to the glass, some rocks under it and starting to attach to surrounding rocks. What's the best way to trim it without killing it or poisoning the water (and myself!) Do I literally just use a pair of scissors and start cutting it? As for the glass, do I scrape it off with a glass scraper?

Thanks!

1529781842-picsay.jpg

chipmunkofdoom2

Always Making Something
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I can't speak to the poisoning, but I can say it's going to be tough to trim them in the tank. You mentioned that part of the mat is attached to a rock? Could you detach the zoas on the rock from the zoas on the glass so that you can have an easier time working on them?

Also, it might be possible to use a razor blade and detach them from the glass, much like you would scrape coralline off of your glass.. I haven't done this before, so I can't say how good it is for the zoas. Maybe someone else can chime in?

DSC reef

Coral wasted
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always used a glass scraper or something sharp like an exacto knife. Cut around the polyps and peel. The colonies we grew were started on a rock, then once they grew on to the glass I would frag off the glass only. I fragged every 2 months or so.
20170803_184532.jpg

Last edited:
OP
OP
ItsAName

ItsAName

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I always used a glass scraper or something sharp like an exacto knife. Cut around the polyps and peel. The colonies we grew were started on a rock, then once they grew on to the glass I would frag off the glass only. I fragged every 2 months or so.
20170803_184532.jpg

What lightning did you use to take that picture?

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 42 30.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 35 25.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 49 35.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back