How do you clean coraline off of black plastic?

MikeD88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm curious as to clean corraline off of the back of my biocube. It is black plastic similar to the plastic on a koralia. Does vinager really work? Thanks for any help! Oh and the tank is empty, as I just broke it down. This is for selling purposes.

noobreef408

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
lol dont listen to anyone. I have a biocube u can EASILY get it out with the kent marine acrylic cleaner it comes write off without scratching it. DONT USE VINEGAR.

Werdlone

what?
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would not use a razor, might scratch the acrylic...but vinegar works like a charm. Just soak it over night in vinegar and it will disolve the calcium...the rest just wipes off. I'm sure vinegar is cheaper and less toxic than the acrylic cleaner. Probably a little easier to find as well.

OP
OP
MikeD88

MikeD88

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok thanks guys, I don't have any vinegar so I'm going to try a very mild bleach and warm water solution... if that doesn't work I will go with the vinegar.

AZDesertRat

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Get a gallon of distilled white vinegar at Wal Mart for $1.50. It will not hurt a thing, is safe to use and you will be amazed at how well it works in just minutes if you use it straight. If its on a vertical surface, soak a rag or towel in vinegar and drape it over the corraline. It will loosen and come right off with no effort and not scratch or disfigure anything like scraping does.
Use the rest on your salad!

Paul_N

MOD
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My wife is always yelling at me cause I use the last of the vinegar on the tank. I'm always like woops I used the last to clean my skimmer and return pump or I just used it to clean my power heads. It also works really well to clean glass covers on my MH fixtures. It gets all the spots off and the glass looks brand new.

killingseed2000

hobo of time
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
yep, those kent scrapers are glass only, or tragedy

They have both glass tips and acrylic tips. just make sure you use the right tip. the acrylic tip is plasic and the glass one has a metal strip on it. they also have a cotton pad for as a tip add-on, i have all three tips.

Reeferdood

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Distilled vinegar has always worked for me when it comes to removing calcium deposits.. Agree with above, no metal scrapers on acrylic!!

starfish

Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
kent acrylic scrapper blades are red plastic real hard to confuse them with the yellow ones with ss blades. However the acrylic does not work well on established coraline on plastic once the blade surface it roughed from the coraline they will scratch the surface. They are good for new coraline growth not old hardened stuff. Vinegar works the best.

scotty

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
--

Ive never heard of using bleach although that may work. it's using a base to dissolve a base though, I think vinegar/acidic dissolution is a better idea jmo

Managing real reef risks: Do you pay attention to the dangers in your tank?

• I pay a lot of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 100 43.9%
  • I pay a bit of attention to reef risks.

Votes: 77 33.8%
  • I pay minimal attention to reef risks.

Votes: 37 16.2%
  • I pay no attention to reef risks.

Votes: 12 5.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back