How do you do a hydrogen peroxide dip?

Sean Clark

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting reading some old comments from 10 years ago About this topic and seeing how much has changed since then. I still don't recommend for any person to just start throwing corals in hydrogen peroxide but I think there is some benefits and advantages.
I have always been the bad guy that tells people to use H2O2 and gets condemned for even suggesting it.

No it was 100% 100% Hydrogen peroxide :) Of course 3% lol but what I meant is I did not use any other liquid with it
I knew what you meant, just clarifying for everyone. 37% is readily available and I would hate to see someone do something silly.

Tavero

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's interesting reading some old comments from 10 years ago About this topic and seeing how much has changed since then. I still don't recommend for any person to just start throwing corals in hydrogen peroxide but I think there is some benefits and advantages.
A lot has changed but one thing ist still the same after 10 years of peroxide dipping: the average reefer still thinks 3% peroxide is 100% and can't figure out the percentages after dilution even if his life depended in it.

Btw every zoa frag i had dippped in peroxide came out worse than before. I wouldn't dip whole corals anymore.

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a zoa frag plug that came with some unwanted xenia. The xenia is completely intermingled with the zoa heads and i cant get rid of it just trying to pluck out with tweezers.

Now the xenia is start to overtake the zoas. Someone recommended i do an h2o2 bath right after attempting to remove the xenia with tweezers or scissors. Do you guys think that will work?

snake61047

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a zoa frag plug that came with some unwanted xenia. The xenia is completely intermingled with the zoa heads and i cant get rid of it just trying to pluck out with tweezers.

Now the xenia is start to overtake the zoas. Someone recommended i do an h2o2 bath right after attempting to remove the xenia with tweezers or scissors. Do you guys think that will work?
Try it. Let us know

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try it. Let us know
Tried the h2o2 bath, didn’t work to get the Xenia off. Attempting to remove them with tweezers also seemed futile.

I basically just gave up and put the plug on its own in the sand for now so the Xenia won’t spread over the rocks.

littlebigreef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
12   0   0
Mix some kalkawasser with water and make a thick paste, pull the frag and put the kalk paste anywhere you want to remove tissue. Let it sit a few minutes then rinse well and return to the tank.

Parsely

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mix some kalkawasser with water and make a thick paste, pull the frag and put the kalk paste anywhere you want to remove tissue. Let it sit a few minutes then rinse well and return to the tank.
The problem is there is Xenia completely intermingled inbetween all the zoa heads that I would like to keep. Unless there is a way to target only the Xenia and leave the zoas unharmed I think I am just stuck

jeremyd

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No it was 100% 100% Hydrogen peroxide :) Of course 3% lol but what I meant is I did not use any other liquid with it
I was about to have some questions :D I've never seen higher than 5% available to buy at the consumer level. I remember reading about an arsonist who had access to something like 35% or higher hydrogen peroxide, and would spray it on rafters in attics in homes that had external access to the attic, and then it would catch fire as the water evaporated.

nano reef

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Doesnt the peroxide just temporarily kill the algae. I should say kill because that would be permanent but In others words dosnt it always grow back? It does for me anyway!

I have some wiry algae thats impossible to get rid of! Its rooted so it comes back even if you pluck it the root! Like pulling hair out of oyur head its going to come back! It came on some zoas and I am making a frag tank with highend zoas and I am petrified of bringing it to the tank! Seems to only be on some cheapers one so I am thinking of just trashing them but some are awesome blossoms and pink hippos ect and really now days no zoa is cheap!

Do you guys think if I add a big enough clean up crew I wont have to worry? I have never had much of a cuc in my tank! because they seem to just mow over things on sand bed or knock corals off and more trouble then they are worth. I do a hard core vacuuming every two weeks but my frag tank is just rubble and racks
So I am definitely going to add one per gallon!

ShakeyGizzard

RedNeck Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was about to have some questions :D I've never seen higher than 5% available to buy at the consumer level. I remember reading about an arsonist who had access to something like 35% or higher hydrogen peroxide, and would spray it on rafters in attics in homes that had external access to the attic, and then it would catch fire as the water evaporated.
at higher concentrations peroxide will heat up when in contact with metals. I have worked with 35% before, not anything to do with aquariums. its dangerous to you if you come into contact with it, will blind you almost instantly if splashed into your eyes.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 69 34.7%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 7 3.5%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 51 25.6%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 64 32.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.0%
Back