how do you get rid of worms

LuisA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
how do you get rid of Eunicid worms. i pick up rocks and I keep finding them. what should i do?

OP
OP
L

LuisA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
actually i just double checked pictures and you are correct. i found this picture
Bristle_Worm_1.jpg

bamachamp92

WIL E. COYOTE SUPERGENIUS
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
bristle worms are nothing to worry about unless they are out of control. Every tank with live rock in it will have bristle worms.

DaveMorris

MACNA2016 Co-Chair
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never remove bristleworms from a tank. They are beneficial scavengers. If they get really big and creep you out, then I could see removing them.

OP
OP
L

LuisA

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
ok now i know i have been pulling these out. i have had a few that are 4 inchs and pretty wide.

starfish

Starfish
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Their population in a tank is driven by the amount of food being put in the tank. Fat big bristle worms I would evaluate my feeding routine. The more food available the more you have.

HAudioSolutions

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I agree, don't worry about them. look at it as free scavengers.
+1 on the feeding. their food supply with naturally dictate the population of the worms.

wicked demon

trained monkey
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it the same way with algea, aiptasia, cyano-bacteria, and bristle worms, they are all benificial ways that a tank could deal with excess nutrients in the water column (in different stages of organic decompisition), and they are all better than toxic water conditions. If you do not change the nutrient addition (feeding and organic dosing) and you remove any of these you should expect a bloom of one or all of the others, or rising nit and phos levels, ie; toxic water.
You might not like the way these things look but it is your tank trying to tell you somthing.

Last edited:

lightsluvr

Tangaroa to 500 gallons
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I see it the same way with algea, aiptasia, cyano-bacteria, and bristle worms, they are all benificial ways that a tank could deal with excess nutrients in the water column (in different stages of organic decompisition), and they are all better than toxic water conditions. If you do not change the nutrient addition (feeding and organic dosing) and you remove any of these you should expect a bloom of one or all of the others, or rising nit and phos levels, ie; toxic water.
You might not like the way these things look but it is your tank trying to tell you somthing.

I guess I don't follow this post... How do aiptasia qulaify as " beneficial ways that a tank could deal with excess nutrients..." ? Are you saying that removing algae or cyano (or aiptaisa) will cause toxic water? :squigglemouth:

Please 'splain that one to this dumb Okie.

LL

lightsluvr

Tangaroa to 500 gallons
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would never remove bristleworms from a tank. They are beneficial scavengers. If they get really big and creep you out, then I could see removing them.

Agree with Dave...they are generally beneficial. We had a 120G seahorse tank that was fed so heavily the bristleworms reached infestational levels:

These were under one small piece of LR:
bworm1-1.jpg

Talk about creeping out:
bworm3-1.jpg

They were so bad that our zoanthid colonies were being irritated constantly by the squirmy worms battling for food with the coral! The bristles got sent to worm Hades with an RO/DI bath before we recently moved rock and coral to a new tank...

LL

lightsluvr

Tangaroa to 500 gallons
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Euchnid worms

By the way, when we were fresh water dipping for bristles, we did kick out a few euchnids that I was glad to send to the dark places...

Look closely at the bottom of the container -
bworm04.jpg

Here is what one of those pests look like - you don't want one of these in your tank:
bworm13.jpg

LL

colbrunn123

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A old panty hoes filled with clam meat works great for getting rid of them.I do this about every 6 months.Nothing i hate worst is picking up a piece of LR and put my finger on one of them.That makes you jump with pain.Some people call them fire worms.The pain you feel it feels like a fire in your finger.

tekken

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
get a six line wrasse... they love to eat bristle worms

Eggs

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've yet to see it with my own eyes, but I believe my CB shrimp has controlled the population in my reef.

tangdiver

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I still think that they are great detritivores, if anything sell them, people want to buy them and some stores sell them for decent $$

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 12 20.0%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 46 76.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back