How do you tell a store owner the issue?

Johnd651

Getting back in after 10+ years
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning R2R, so I still prefer to see and "feel" stuff when I buy it and this includes stuff for my hobbies. This means I am usually hoping to find something in a brick and mortar before ordering online. In addition, it is always nice knowing that in a pinch, i could run to a store to get dry-goods vs waiting for something to ship (even if it is a dollar or two more). There is not much for fish stores in the surrounding 50+ miles or so, but we have been looking and come across a couple of hole in the wall places that could be awesome, but they all seem to be a let down.

How do you tell these places that the reason people stopped buying your stuff is cause the tanks are filled with bubble algae, etc and not because "there is no one doing saltwater in this city anymore"? How do you tell them that I cant see in through the salt crust to even know whats in the tank? The soggy boxes from humidity on the dry goods, means I don't trust the item works anymore? They even offer to custom order along with there next shipment, but I have no faith in what I am about to get.

I know its a bit of a rant, but having a store in the area and it being successful benefits me as much as the store owner. But how do you tell them to stop watching youtube or netflix, and go take care of the store?

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Morning R2R, so I still prefer to see and "feel" stuff when I buy it and this includes stuff for my hobbies. This means I am usually hoping to find something in a brick and mortar before ordering online. In addition, it is always nice knowing that in a pinch, i could run to a store to get dry-goods vs waiting for something to ship (even if it is a dollar or two more). There is not much for fish stores in the surrounding 50+ miles or so, but we have been looking and come across a couple of hole in the wall places that could be awesome, but they all seem to be a let down.

How do you tell these places that the reason people stopped buying your stuff is cause the tanks are filled with bubble algae, etc and not because "there is no one doing saltwater in this city anymore"? How do you tell them that I cant see in through the salt crust to even know whats in the tank? The soggy boxes from humidity on the dry goods, means I don't trust the item works anymore? They even offer to custom order along with there next shipment, but I have no faith in what I am about to get.

I know its a bit of a rant, but having a store in the area and it being successful benefits me as much as the store owner. But how do you tell them to stop watching youtube or netflix, and go take care of the store?
Sounds like you shouldn’t bother. They know about the mess they have and are possibly just waiting for bankruptcy proceeding to be finalized.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sounds like you shouldn’t bother. They know about the mess they have and are possibly just waiting for bankruptcy proceeding to be finalized.
But how do they pay there own bills.. let alone the store bill?

Ziggy17

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just ask them why things are being neglected? It may be that physically they can’t do it anymore, or they just may not care. Either way, the fact that you asked will spark a conversation without being adversarial.

Dan_P

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But how do they pay there own bills.. let alone the store bill?
You don’t when you are in bankruptcy. The bills pile up and who gets paid what gets sorted out in court. At that point I think the store goes out of business when it liquidates its assets and pays the bills. Maybe be on the look out for a big sale.

SpyC

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

You don't.

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You walk out and never return .. thats why theres always 2 sides of a story. You want to support local business but it requires effort. If they put in no effort to actually succeed then why would you feel any sort of way . The lfs out here are always filled with half dead coral cyano, bryopsis that it isnt even worth taking a 10 minute drive.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I hear you.

There were two dumpy stores in my area in the early 2000's, both family/single owner run. One had maybe one display 55 gallon with lots of rock and a yellow tang. The other had a few more salt tanks and I got along with the owner's daughter who did have a decent reef at home. She eventually took over the store at a new better location, but dropped the saltwater. She even told me if we don't carry something, just buy it online. Petco opened up soon, both stores eventually closed and she went to work at Petco for awhile.

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I hear you.

There were two dumpy stores in my area in the early 2000's, both family/single owner run. One had maybe one display 55 gallon with lots of rock and a yellow tang. The other had a few more salt tanks and I got along with the owner's daughter who did have a decent reef at home. She eventually took over the store at a new better location, but dropped the saltwater. She even told me if we don't carry something, just buy it online. Petco opened up soon, both stores eventually closed and she went to work at Petco for awhile.
Used to be a nice store out in Syracuse, kind of the same story.

Store had 2 partners, one was the money(and the one who thought they knew it all), the other was the brains, and the know how of SW.

The know it all forced the actual know it all out the door, store closed, and he went to work for petco.

It's honestly a nice SW setup in that petco. I've bought a few fish from there.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Used to be a nice store out in Syracuse, kind of the same story.

Store had 2 partners, one was the money(and the one who thought they knew it all), the other was the brains, and the know how of SW.

The know it all forced the actual know it all out the door, store closed, and he went to work for petco.

It's honestly a nice SW setup in that petco. I've bought a few fish from there.
Not sure if you were reefing during the early 2000's. Inland Reef Aquaria in Nashua, NH. was becoming a presence in the hobby. Clean store, they were building a triple tank window display. Both owners were present on forums... although one was a bit grumpy.

They got a massive flatworm infestation. They were planning a move and an even better store, one owner also was opening an Astronomy store next door, they soon parted ways and the reef store never reopened.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure if you were reefing during the early 2000's. Inland Reef Aquaria in Nashua, NH. was becoming a presence in the hobby. Clean store, they were building a triple tank window display. Both owners were present on forums... although one was a bit grumpy.

They got a massive flatworm infestation. They were planning a move and an even better store, one owner also was opening an Astronomy store next door, they soon parted ways and the reef store never reopened.
I was in NYC early 2000's and there was an awesome exotic pet store, that is still there in Queens. After that I spent grad school in SLC, where I lived 2 blocks from a pretty decent fish store and had an African cichlid wholesaler that would let me come down on Saturdays (for my FW monster tank), and would actually travel out to Cali and transport stuff back in a cooler with the wife that I couldn't find locally. Since then we are back in NY, but Central NY where there's nothing.

fish farmer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I was in NYC early 2000's and there was an awesome exotic pet store, that is still there in Queens. After that I spent grad school in SLC, where I lived 2 blocks from a pretty decent fish store and had an African cichlid wholesaler that would let me come down on Saturdays (for my FW monster tank), and would actually travel out to Cali and transport stuff back in a cooler with the wife that I couldn't find locally. Since then we are back in NY, but Central NY where there's nothing.
There was a little shop in Rome years ago that had saltwater, not sure if they are still there.

Probably closest decent stores are probably in Western Mass. The Coral Farm and Aquadreams, both over 2 hours away for both of us.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There was a little shop in Rome years ago that had saltwater, not sure if they are still there.

Probably closest decent stores are probably in Western Mass. The Coral Farm and Aquadreams, both over 2 hours away for both of us.
Only thing I am seeing is Peterson's Exotic pets in Rome?

homer1475

Figuring out the hobby one coral at a time.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petersons burnt down a few years back, but I think they reopened in a new location? Was a huge loss of pet lives. They had everything from FW to SW to reptiles, birds, rodents, snakes, etc, etc.

It certainly wasn't a "premier" LFS, but it sufficed. I never bought anything from there, and disregarded it.

I have not been in the new location.

We have a few "premier" stores in the area. @A Reef Creation being one, out in Buffalo. There is also another SW shop just down the road from ARC, but I forget the name, and it was also pretty decent.

I personally visit Caribbean Forest out in Rochester quite often, and 90% of my fish have come from there. There is also The Reef Shoppe just down the road from Caribbean forest, and they have some pretty nice stuff.

Again, it's a drive, but well worth it. IMO

I certainly miss the abundance of decent LFS's we used to have back in the late 80's early 90's in upstate.

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Petersons burnt down a few years back, but I think they reopened in a new location? Was a huge loss of pet lives. They had everything from FW to SW to reptiles, birds, rodents, snakes, etc, etc.

It certainly wasn't a "premier" LFS, but it sufficed. I never bought anything from there, and disregarded it.

I have not been in the new location.

We have a few "premier" stores in the area. @A Reef Creation being one, out in Buffalo. There is also another SW shop just down the road from ARC, but I forget the name, and it was also pretty decent.

I personally visit Caribbean Forest out in Rochester quite often, and 90% of my fish have come from there. There is also The Reef Shoppe just down the road from Caribbean forest, and they have some pretty nice stuff.

Again, it's a drive, but well worth it. IMO

I certainly miss the abundance of decent LFS's we used to have back in the late 80's early 90's in upstate.
Maybe I'll have to meet up with you next time you go to one of them.. lol

OP
OP
Johnd651

Johnd651

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
@homer1475 @fish farmer Oneonta petco surprised me. Nothing great, but something.

20240410_091517.jpg

20240410_091357.jpg

Kzang

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 75%
6   2   0
You walk out and never return .. thats why theres always 2 sides of a story. You want to support local business but it requires effort. If they put in no effort to actually succeed then why would you feel any sort of way . The lfs out here are always filled with half dead coral cyano, bryopsis that it isnt even worth taking a 10 minute drive.
One of my LFS marks up everything at least 10% over retail. Everything. They sell a mini selection of acros that local people trade in for 5 for $100. Don’t know what they are. Got them home and one had AEFW. I told them. I went back and I was just buying frozen and looked at their acros that they moved to a new tank possibly after I told them they had AEWF. Lo and behold, red bugs on an acro. They get those coral trade ins and just dump and don’t dip or anything and just sell it. You’ll go in and see fish not doing well. They sell fish and salt.

That same LFS I bought my first bio cube from, sold me those expensive butt premade saltwater ocean 5g instead of selling me their made saltwater. They pushed me toward live rock instead of cheaper dry rock. I got aiptasia, gorilla crab, and a dang cirolanid isopod. (Crazy thing. Never would have caught it but got up early and it was still attached to my clownfish). I also bought a zoa and I asked if I needed anything and he sold me an expensive Redsea alk/cal/mag dosing 3 part.

Another one can’t sell acros for ****. They look pale like they have a pest. Has a frag rack of them with STN. Yet he will charge you full price to fresh cut and send you home with a Walt Disney for $150. You ask how much this coral is? And he will go $60. You google it and he sees you then says oh that size is $40, about the Google price.

Another LFS, and the owner acts like it’s a problem to actually sell you anything. You ask how much this coral is, and he will go, look at the website. Literally 500 or more corals and he lists like 20 of them. He huffs and puffs tries to use website and can’t find it and then say it’s this much. You go back another day with an employee, and it’s a different more expensive price. Like if you want to sell coral and not have me ask what 20 coral prices are, then list them. If I see a Walt Disney priced at $300 for a small frag, I’m not going to ask about it.

A lot of LFS seem to just import and chop shop, too. It’s pretty impossible for a store prevent vermitid, invasive algae, aiptasia, and etc. especially as most of those can be so tiny invisible when young that you won’t see it until it is too late. I get that because it’s not economically viable to quarantine everything for months to ensure nothing gets in the system. You’d expect that from people like TSA, tidal gardens, WWC, POTO, TCK, CC, and more I can go on because they really just sell their aquacultured stuff.

All I want is:
LFS to store fish and inverts seperately.

Dip all incoming corals

Put a price on anything and everything you are selling

Don’t price over retail

Make sure the employees know what they sell (called the first lfs and needed some quick alkalinity and two people had no idea what it was. My buddy needed phosphate, and they told him they don’t carry it and you should never dose phosphate)

Educate new people like saying we run copper to minimize ich/velvet which may appear after you take the fish home and you should QT

Do basic tank maintenance. It won’t always be perfect or pest/etc free, but at least go over it once a day and remove best you can

There’s more, but long post. End rant! Lol

tautog83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Right so you order from places that their whole business model is corals. Cherry, battlecorals , fraghouse because if they dont qt or arent super strict about what comes in they lose thousands and thousands .if you saw the markups at a lfs you would gladly pay 10% . Im not saying they shouldnt be marked up but ...get good. Lol like the op said when the employees are on their phones and the frag tank looks like a scene out of swamp thing with dying corals in it, what other thought should you have.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 4 5.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 7.2%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 54 78.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 5.8%
Back