Rating - 0%
0   0   0
AB137ACE-0AC4-450B-A644-A272B9C763D7.jpeg Here she is taken a week ago
What a beautiful fish!

U

User1

View Badges
I’m afraid I cannot believe that growth rate

Why? Not that they are similar but my tang also grew really fast. No food competition, no food chain with a larger fish eating smaller fish, daily feeding, less swim area, always burning calories, etc. I find it pretty easy to believe they grow that fast.

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well, you don’t have to believe it but it’s true :) I couldn’t believe how fast she grew either! I think they added steroids in the pellets I feed them lol

Vlamingi grows incredibly fast .... mostly because they never stop eating. I’ve kept many different tangs, including the four available Naso species, and none grow as quickly as the V. Not just length but girth as well

ca1ore

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a thread a while ago on tang growth. Most of mine end up about half of their full advertised wild size. Fast growth when small/young but tapering off. My yellow is 5”and has not grown appreciably in a couple of years. Likewise for my purple and gem. Desjardini has slowed at about 8”. Chevron grew fast to about 7” over a couple of years but now holding. Even my brevirostris has not grown much beyond 10” (11” if you include the schnoz). I feed my tank a LOT, and all fish appear healthy with some of the tangs approaching 10 years old. Tank is a 450. Buddy of mine had a vlamingi that went from about 3”to almost 14” in less than three years. In a 90 gallon no less. Was an absolute beast .... and an eating machine.

McPuff

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Even my brevirostris has not grown much beyond 10” (11” if you include the schnoz).

Ok, I guess I either missed it or didn't know that you have a brevirostris. Please post a pic of this guy!! Really wish I could house one of these.

While the growth may seem unreal, the vlamingi are just insane eaters. Like others have said, that growth rate is not even unusual in other species. In the wild, they have to outgrow predation as fast as possible. I saw a very similar growth rate from my annularis angel actually. Grew from 1.5" to over 7" in 10 months... also transitioned fully to adult pattern. Was amazing growth rate! Talk about conversion efficiency!! :0)

Cmedeiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’m afraid I cannot believe that growth rate

My vlamingi I’ve had for 4 weeks.

Her body looks thicker and she’s grown about 3/4 of an inch.

I do feed heavy though. Meaty foods and always algae on a clip.

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My vlamingi I’ve had for 4 weeks.

Her body looks thicker and she’s grown about 3/4 of an inch.

I do feed heavy though. Meaty foods and always algae on a clip.
These larger framed tangs grow quickly. My fastest is dussomieri Tang which went from 3" to 9" in a matter of 8 months. I would not feed heavy as it will have an impact on water quality. Easier/best to feed normal 4-6X per day rather than 3 heavy feedings. Vlamingi get gorgeous as they get large

Pics below 3mo, 5 mo and 8 months

dussomieri.png
Dusomieri2.png
dussomieri a.png

Cmedeiros

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I keep my water pretty pristine.

10% water changes every 3 days.

smiley28

Hectorj
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I know this is kind of an old thread but I was searching for how old tangs get and stumbled upon this thread. Then the vlamingi came into conversation and it reminded me of the one I saw last week. It had to be very close to 2’ (I swear it looked larger) and if just kind of freaked me out.

pdxmonkeyboy

Sticks!! Give me the sticks!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It is an old thread but probably the only thread on here where people are not disagreeing. Lol.

My desjardini is still growing fast and he is probably 8" long. Same with the sohal. My achilies has not grown much at all.

I saw a HUGE blue throat in the LFS the other day and I couldn't help but think... dude, that thing most be getting ready to die soon. Wish I had a picture of it.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I got a baby Purple tang too. Started about the quarter size without the tail, about 1.5 inches. Two years later he is about 5 inches.. Most of that growth was in first year. He slow down considerably after reach about 4 inches.

Squidward

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Got a Powder Blue and Achilles at juvenile size... about half the size of my blue hippo at roughly 4.5". They both outgrew the hippo rather quickly amazingly. They're both about 5" each within 6 - 7 months.

jaxteller007

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I assume y'all measure things in your tank and compare the fish to those? I can't figure out any other way to tell how big ours are lol.

Q43

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
what size tank do you have and what other kinds of tangs do you have? My tangs I feel like they dont grow but thats also because I stare at them every day:p My purple tang is about 2.5-3 inches and I tried to add a small black eye kole tang and I walked away for about 30 mins came back and the kole's fins were destroyed. I just spent 2 hours taking apart my aquascape and trying to capture the fish. Hes only 1" so he could hide in every cave that existed in my tank
When I add new tangs (or other fish aggressive to their own type), I just tape a large mirror to the side of the tank for a week or two. Keeps the old crew so busy attacking their own reflection that they pretty much ignore the newcomer so it has time to acclimate and become familiar with the ample hiding spots in the rock work.

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
Vlamingi tang from 1 1/2" to 6" in 6 months.
My vlamingi tang from 3 inch to 9-10 inch in 12 months . My tank guy said I am over feeding . But I can’t resist his puppy eyes looks at me and swim around me when I come close to tank

nicodim55

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
1st picture taken in 2019 and 2nd one was taken a month ago. From 2” to maybe 5” in 5 years.

IMG_2460.jpeg IMG_2461.jpeg

Last edited:

melhe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   1   0
1st picture taken in 2019 and 2nd one was taken a month ago. From 2” to maybe 5” in 5 years.

IMG_2460.jpeg IMG_2461.jpeg
My hippo grow from 1 inch to 3 inches in 8 months . over feeding is still the problem. I have Gfo and algae scrubber both , still have hard time control nitrate level. My corals are suffering

vetteguy53081

Well known Member and monster tank lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
14   0   0
My vlamingi tang from 3 inch to 9-10 inch in 12 months . My tank guy said I am over feeding . But I can’t resist his puppy eyes looks at me and swim around me when I come close to tank
Sounds about right
My hippo grow from 1 inch to 3 inches in 8 months . over feeding is still the problem. I have Gfo and algae scrubber both , still have hard time control nitrate level. My corals are suffering
try 2-3 gallon water changes daily for 10-14 days and assure your not getting false test results
Add chemipure blue to your sump and regulate amounts fed to tank

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.8%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.4%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 5 4.3%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 95 81.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 4.3%
Back