how high is to high alk.

num54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi i checked my alk this morn and it was at 13.8 i now that high should i do a water change or just let it slowly come down my tank is a 180 gall. my water prameters are
ph 8.0
alk 13.8
cal.450
mag 1320
thanks for any advise

ScottyMcReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
i once had an 11 and just slowly let it go down, of course i have only a 29 BC, but it did hit a solid 8 or 9 after 2 weeks.

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have had it as high as 13 and I did water changes like normal. It balanced out in a couple weks. I used a different salt with a high ALK when I did my upgrade, so that's where my spike came from. Do you know where your's orininated ? If it's going to be off, better high then low I am told.

OP
OP
N

num54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use the. Seachem ph raiser to 8.3 because my ph was at 7.6 I used te Rec doasage and thoughts the only thing I did

OP
OP
N

num54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alk

I use the. Seachem ph raiser to 8.3 because my ph was at 7.6 I used te Rec doasage and thoughts the only thing I did

MoneyPit

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure why that happened to you but It should be ok if it starts to come down soon. Go ahead and do a water change, can't hurt. If the additive could have been the only possible culprit then I would suggest trying a different one. High ALK is not as bad as some think. I have read on here about ALK being around 18 and things were still alive. My two week experience kind of freaked me out a little but it was ok in the end. Hope that helps.

OP
OP
N

num54

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
thanks ill stop dosing and keep checking my water parameters the do a water change

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Don't use any chemicals to raise pH.

IMHO a properly balanced aquarium (with plant life) will have pH above 8 and probably above 8.4 (purple with the api high range test kit). Simply because the plant life (corraline/mocro algaes) are consuming the carbon dioxide in the tank.

So to raise pH I would expand the algae.

my .02

Last edited:

_Alex_

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Mine got up to 16 at one time and lps definitely didnt like it. I used a different salt with lower dkh to slowly lower it over a month.

beaslbob

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To raise ph expand with algae what type and form to do this
to be (hopefully) more helpful one good way is a refugium with chaetomorphia. Or an algae truf scrubber.

But actually just letting all that ugly stuff grow on the sides an back of the tank will help also.

Protein Skimmers – Are They Really Necessary?

• YES

Votes: 95 54.0%
  • NO

Votes: 54 30.7%
  • Not Sure

Votes: 23 13.1%
  • Other (please explain)

Votes: 4 2.3%
Back