How likely is it for children to crash your tank?

kartrsu

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In preparation for nesting, I am wondering how people have child proofed their reef tanks? I’ve seen some people use magnetic locks on sump doors. I’m also concerned about windex glass cleaning lol. Have you guys had to deal with children causing tank crashes? Love to hear stories if you all want to share!

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had tanks when my children were little and never had an issue. The most precaution I would take is using child cabinet locks on the stand doors. I’m my experience a kid who is always around tanks doesnt pay them any attention.
Is friends kids who come over that worry me.

Tamberav

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When they are little. Lock the doors on the sump… kids can drown in toilets so no reason to think they can’t in a sump.

That was my main concern. I can’t imagine them crashing it really unless they were older and poured something in they shouldn’t but my stand is way too tall for that.

salty joe

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When my son was two or three, I caught him climbing up the tank stand, which could have tipped over on him. He was a rowdy little thing and a big sturdy kid. I bolted the tank stand to wall studs, that 75 gallon tank could kill a kid.

I agree with locking sump and cabinet doors if you have toddlers.

HudsonReefer2.0

Algae Happens
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
You have kids that you are worried might clean the glass? Can I rent them out?
I think more like scratch and crack, cleaning is after. Sry don’t have them. Foolproof. Lol no. Jkn. I just child locked the cabinets, kept all nets and magnets safe areas and struck the fear of God in them. Worked.

Sir Kon Salty Sox

Kind of a Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 4-panel window in one of my doors. Each panel is 8x10 , and I was lucky enough to grab some 0.08" acryllic sheets from Home Depot.

After much turmoil, measuring, and getting the paint juuuuuuuuuuust right .... my 1 year old hulk-smashed through the bottom left pane.

I haven't fixed it yet, but I did have to move all the cords and equipment out of reach , say a foot radius from the hole. She would stick her hand in there and put toys and slime in my ATO reservoir. Always grabbed the turkey baster and played with it.

I need to get another acryllic sheet, or just board it up permanently. :(

Rawsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just say "no" lol
This. lol!

I got into the hobby around the time my son was born, and he loves helping me out with stuff, but occasionally he will get frisky and grab things he shouldn't.

You as a parent, have to be extremely cautious around your kids, and other kids. A lot of the stuff we dose and put into our tanks can be toxic if we swallow it.

KING KONG

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
When I wad of 3 or 4, I started to take care of the tank i.e, giving food, searching about diseases and about hitchhikers. When I was of 8, I started messing with rockwork. That is what curiosities cause. I think just tell your children to feed your fish and tell them how delicate the aquarium and fishes are. They will slowly understand. Also remove magnet as they can make a great tornado(yup what I loved when I was of 5).

Arthacker87

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have 4 kids and if you teach them not to mess with the tank they don't. Babies aren't tall enough to throw fish food in, keeping sump locked is key, wires hidden key, and no throwing the d*** ball in the house lol. Sorry ptsd there. Honestly my kids love watching the fish in all 5 of my reef tanks and haven't messed anything up. My cats are more annoying.

brandon429

why did you put a reef in that
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
there is one picture on this site I wish I would have scraped up for reposting and put on my hard drive.

in a ten thousand dollar ~200 gallon reef setup, this man wakes up one morning to find IN HIS SUMP and he photos it and posts it for our enjoyment:

-a mr potatohead.
-a collander for spaghetti
-some dvd's.
-several spoons, forks, knives.
-some dolls.
-a bottle of dish soap, the whole bottle sitting down piled under these items, thankfully sealed
-several random toys, a small metal dump truck.
-a football, floating.
-all the nets and assorted reefing supplies we use daily
-multiple reef additive bottles, simply added in the sump likely while the bandit was uttering unintelligible phrases and diapered. it was either the infant or one heck of a resourceful raccoon that did it.

its the greatest child impact picture I've ever seen.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 40 46.0%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 20 23.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 21 24.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 6.9%
Back