How long is too long to let your tank be….alone?

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
2-3 days without any automation and then I would stress/the fish would be very very very hungry. With automation I still wouldn’t go more than like a week without someone coming to check on it and replenish the ATO etc.

Last edited:

kindafun

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
7 days, no problem and little worry, and have done that before. Pretty much everything is automated and a camera overlooks the tank. Longer than that and it feels sketchy so I normally have someone come check.

One thing not automated is the mechanical filtration, filter socks. So I always remove them while gone.

Reefkeepers Archive

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
2 days if no one else is watching it. I have to clean out the filtration plus algae quickly accumulates in the overflow grates. And that's not even mentioning dosing + feeding

19Mateo83

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
How long is too long? I guess that depends on when something decides to go way wrong! It could be an hour after you leave or a year :grimacing-face:

As it were - my tank ran without any (I mean zero) intervention for 5+ years with absolutely zero maintenance, testing, skimming, water changes, dosing or anything else. I did toss in a few pinches of food once or twice a year. The only "automation" was the ATO and to that end, the filters were never changed. At best I looked at the tank once every 6 months for 2 mins, but that was kind of pointless as blue ridge coral had encrusted the entire front panel. Over the 5+ year period the salinity dropped significantly due to salt creep but that happened so slowly that everything appears to have adapted.
-Scopas Tang
-Coral Beauty
-Arc Eye Hawkfish (no idea what he ate)
-mushrooms
-brain coral
-blue ridge coral
-leather corals
-palythoa

All of the SPS perished.

Since that time I have added automated in the form of a Profilux with dosing (triton). I like to look at the tank when I get a chance, but that can sometimes be 2-3 weeks in between. I still do very little in the way of maintenance. Mostly just cleaning the skimmer once a month or so.
That’s crazy! Also equally crazy that the blue ridge covered the entire front glass. That’s one I’ve been looking for and way hard to find.

Mwatts12

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I stress everyday while on vacation. My son is playing baseball in cooperstown this summer. It’s very exciting and a huge baseball tournament.

I’m beyond stressed when I think about the 11 days away from home.

Keeping it clean: Have you used a filter roller?

• I currently use a filter roller.

Votes: 40 30.8%
  • I don’t currently use a filter roller, but I have in the past.

Votes: 4 3.1%
  • I have never used a filter roller, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 34 26.2%
  • I have never used a filter roller and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 47 36.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 5 3.8%
Back