How long till my frammer dies?

Roccopaul

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
March 8th I had some coral arrive at my house and to my horror, UPS used my box as a soccer ball. I could see damage to the box. I opened it and the coral was packaged properly but two specific coral, obviously the most expensive ones had little water in the packages.
I observed the frammer which had little water, was also broken from the plug and cracked completely down the center. The frammer was of two heads. And of course that crack spiraled splitting both heads.
I scrambled to piece it back togther the best I could without creating further damage and glued it togther making sure the glue didn’t touch the polyps. After inspection I did a dip and placed it into a tank in hopes something would survive.

The first two days there was no movement except for two little polyps that had bailed. The rest of the frammer stayed in place. I continued to monitor. Today I observed a long blackish string extending out from one head leading to the tip which attached a polyp. I haven’t observed any further movement or decay. Is that black string indicating death? Would I see more decay by now if it was truly dead? Or could this be a few polyps just dead from the damage?

I know that I’m asking a question that probably has no answer but I figured I would try. The picture below is of the day I placed it in the tank. It looks about the same today as then. Also I don’t know if the video will work, it’s not playing back on my phone when I upload to the site. Is there anything I could do to help this frammer
Or should I just toss it and cut my losses?

Side note, the other coral was a Duncan and candy cane. Both are dormant. The Duncan hasn’t extended and the CC doesn’t appear to be happy or unhappy at this point.
9F457FE5-B482-429F-890F-49BCAB1098CD.jpeg

5E9D404E-A528-4FD0-8512-5F3845BF31EC.jpeg

damsels are not mean

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It looks damaged but not terminal yet to me. Once I siphoned half the tentacles right off a 1 polyp hammer frag and after a few days of it being completely closed up 24/7 it was opening up as normal the next day and grew back quickly. Coral out of water is pretty natural for them too, for several hours. Some corals ship fine in just a humid cup. I would not give up! Keep things consistent and leave the coral where it is.

Usually RTN happens fast after trauma like that. If it's not melting yet it's not "how long do I have, doc?" yet.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What's a frammer? A frogspawn and hammer mix?! Lol
D
Precisely that.

As for the OPs question, I have seen some Fimbryaphillia come back from what looks to be the brink of death if not already death.

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 6.2%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.9%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 6 4.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 104 80.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.7%
Back