How many fish could be saved?

How many fish could be saved with proper treatment for sickness?

• 0-10%

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • 10-20%

Votes: 1 1.4%
  • 20-30%

Votes: 2 2.9%
  • 30-40%

Votes: 6 8.7%
  • 50-60%

Votes: 9 13.0%
  • 60-70%

Votes: 10 14.5%
  • 70-80%

Votes: 23 33.3%
  • 80-90%

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • 90-100%

Votes: 8 11.6%

• Total voters

Js.Aqua.Project

Reef Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I believe that if we could truly pull a list of proven effective treatments for diseases that 70-80% could be saved. I am going that high because I think more newbies would get to see a simple cause/effect style list that would hopefully get them comfortable enough to try to save that struggling fish.

Brew12

Electrical Gru
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think some fish are just harvested too young. If we could get those out of the supply chain I think that would really help. There isn't a cure for a fish that just isn't physically mature enough to handle shipping stress.

reeftopia

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem is a large system. It is almost impossible to catch a fish until it is too sick to treat. Once a fish has a problem a fish trap is worthless because it has become finicky or quit eating all together. Tearing up your system to catch a sick fish can also open up another can of worms.

Mr.Rocc

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I voted for 80-90% but i think 70-80% would be better. With proper care you can save almost all of them but there is always the one thats hiding that you get to too late, or the one like above that you cant catch, or its just too far along by the time you get it.

Diesel

ME=1, CANCER=0.
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Yes it's sad when you walk into any given LFS no matter where you are.
But sometimes you can't blame the owner either.
It's up to the consumer if he/she purchase a fish or any livestock, and if you do ALWAYS QUARANTINE in any condition, even if the fish looks healthy.
If we all do that more fish are going to be happier and more hobbyist will get educated on how and why to QUARANTINE!!
How much % I can dump on this I don't know but by browsing and following my fellow squad members in particular @Humblefish and @melypr1985 I can positively say the curing and survival rate in % numbers is growing in a fast rate.
If you proud to announce that you spend a few $1000 on corals and livestock than what's $35 for a 20 gallon long QT?!?
I'm just saying. :cool:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that soon we won't have sick fish problems except for the very few internal problems like swim bladder disease, cancer and a few other rare illnesses. All the parasitic and bacterial diseases will be eliminated when we embrace getting our fish immune. But that will take a few more years as the research for this just started a few years ago and many people still are reluctant to believe in such a thing. :rolleyes:

jenreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Experience also counts for a lot when it comes to diagnosing fish diseases. I drive people nuts when they walk into a LFS with me because all I see is ich, velvet, flukes, etc. as a walk from tank to tank. I don't mean to be rude and I do my best to keep my voice low, but I just can't help myself. It's like an obsession. :eek:
me too. bad habit

jeffrey holloway

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
If you can ID the problem prior to purchase and have experience treating fish, the rate could be 90-100%. I purchased two large snowflake clowns for the low low from petco. They both had clear stringy poop hanging from them. I knew at the very least that they had internal parasites. Explained this the the store clerk and walked away with two high end clown fish for 20 bucks. Treated them with Prazipro, then Metroplex, followed with Cupermine and two months QT. We call one Snow and the other Bully. They are healthy, fat and happy. Me and the wife have rescued dogs in worst shape and at a much higher price tag to rehab. Give a fish a shot you just may save a life. Final note: 50% of may fish an inverts came from petco. We jokingly say lets go to petco and rescue a fish!

Oberst Oswald

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My problem is a large system. It is almost impossible to catch a fish until it is too sick to treat. Once a fish has a problem a fish trap is worthless because it has become finicky or quit eating all together. Tearing up your system to catch a sick fish can also open up another can of worms.

I totally agree with reeftopia. I had one fish with a fluke infection and could not catch him for a freshwater dip to be sure. So I treated the whole tank with PraziPro. That fish is cured but a healthy melanurus wrasse (other wrasses are doing fine) is now in bad shape. Not eating or swimming much (hiding under sand mostly) so I'm hoping he pulls through. Even if you know the disease there can be other issues that can cause a lack of success.

Empress

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I totally agree with reeftopia. I had one fish with a fluke infection and could not catch him for a freshwater dip to be sure. So I treated the whole tank with PraziPro. That fish is cured but a healthy melanurus wrasse (other wrasses are doing fine) is now in bad shape. Not eating or swimming much (hiding under sand mostly) so I'm hoping he pulls through. Even if you know the disease there can be other issues that can cause a lack of success.

I just dosed my 240 with Prazi last night because I couldn't catch the Foxface. He looked ok this morning, but not a whole lot different from before. I hope this Prazi is doing its job, but I worried about the shrimp. They did a strange little dancing jig which I've never seen them do before. But they did make it through the night. And my 'srooms shriveled up. There's nothing worse than dreading to even look at your tank in the morning wondering what you'll find.

So I know what you mean...fix one problem and create another. My 150g was so much easier.

But we don't give up here on R2R. Keep your head up.

Valkyrie

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think that soon we won't have sick fish problems except for the very few internal problems like swim bladder disease, cancer and a few other rare illnesses. All the parasitic and bacterial diseases will be eliminated when we embrace getting our fish immune. But that will take a few more years as the research for this just started a few years ago and many people still are reluctant to believe in such a thing. :rolleyes:

Paul I completely and totally agree with you. Building an immune system of any being that is going to be exposed to stress and/or infectious diseases should be the primary focus. I don't think that immunity is something to believe in or not, since it can be proven. Immunity exists and doesn't mean that something never gets sick, it simply means that it can be exposed to adversity and combat the effects without weakening to the degree that leaves it open to disease and possibly death.

I prefer the idea that supplements help to build that immunity. We take these fish (not all but some) from their homes in the big blue, subject them to horrifying conditions and are then surprised when they become ill. I'm still in the learning process and I need the basics down. Yea, I'm going through a QT & Fallow period right now. But that's because I screwed up and I need to pay the price so my fish don't. I won't make that mistake again. After the 30 days of copper treatment I intend on building up their immunity and adding to the QT so that they will not be going from a "sterile" (It's really aseptic IMO) back to their tanks.

Once I get over this, I'll be concentrating on immunity building.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Valkryie, that sounds like a plan. :D

Creating a strong bulwark: Did you consider floor support for your reef tank?

• I put a major focus on floor support.

Votes: 53 41.7%
  • I put minimal focus on floor support.

Votes: 25 19.7%
  • I put no focus on floor support.

Votes: 45 35.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 4 3.1%
Back