How many g6's do I need?

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
My tank is 60"L x 30" W x 30" H which is a unique size which makes it difficult to know what's best. The tank is sps dominated. I currently have a 4 bulb T5 fixture with a photon v2+ 50. I'd like to switch to radions and am wondering how many I should get in order to get really good spread / coverage edge to edge. I also am ok adding xr15's if needed but not having owned these lights before it's hard to know what I need. I have a lot of rock work that comes towards the edges and I'd like to grow my sps on it, so full spread is important. My initial assessment is I'll need 4 of them, not sure which way to orient as I have two Fram braces across the top which do not pass light.

Any suggestions welcome (cost really isn't a factor)

Sleepingtiger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I say 4 or 5 xr30 and orient them so they are perpendicular to the aquarium. Just make sure that the XR30 isn't directly over the cross brace.

I have a 70x22x22 and using 4 xr15. I feel like I am not getting the coverage I need. But I am also just doing softies at this point.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
I say 4 or 5 xr30 and orient them so they are perpendicular to the aquarium. Just make sure that the XR30 isn't directly over the cross brace.

I have a 70x22x22 and using 4 xr15. I feel like I am not getting the coverage I need. But I am also just doing softies at this point.
Thanks. When you say perpendicular I assume you mean perpendicular to the long front and back glass which means mount them from front to back, correct? If that's the case I think I can fit 4 comfortably without mounting them over one of the cross braces. Since the tank is 30" deep and the xr30 is 12" long, I COULD mount two perpendicular which would mean mounting 8. I feel like this would give me lots of spread but maybe overkill par? (
I'd also need 8 lights which seems like overkill?

helmsreef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks. When you say perpendicular I assume you mean perpendicular to the long front and back glass which means mount them from front to back, correct? If that's the case I think I can fit 4 comfortably without mounting them over one of the cross braces. Since the tank is 30" deep and the xr30 is 12" long, I COULD mount two perpendicular which would mean mounting 8. I feel like this would give me lots of spread but maybe overkill par? (
I'd also need 8 lights which seems like overkill?
Its not over kill if your end goal is to have a SPS dominated tank front to back. I would personally for now run 6, 3 in two rows left to right. This will get you your coverage you need, if you end up growing colonies that reach all the way to your glass then I suppose adding another 2 would help you.

OP
OP
B

Biff0rz

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Its not over kill if your end goal is to have a SPS dominated tank front to back. I would personally for now run 6, 3 in two rows left to right. This will get you your coverage you need, if you end up growing colonies that reach all the way to your glass then I suppose adding another 2 would help you.
Thanks, this is super helpful

Just grow it: Have you ever added CO2 to your reef tank?

• I currently use a CO2 with my reef tank.

Votes: 8 5.9%
  • I don’t currently use CO2 with my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 3.7%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 7 5.1%
  • I have never used CO2 with my reef tank and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 110 80.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 6 4.4%
Back