How many of a salinity drop will kill inverts

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is currently at 1.027 because of evaporation and I want bring it to 1.024. Is this too much of a drop in salinity for my shrimp and crabs to be able to handle?

Reefahholic

Acropora Farmer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My tank is currently at 1.027 because of evaporation and I want bring it to 1.024. Is this too much of a drop in salinity for my shrimp and crabs to be able to handle?

Not if you do it slowly. Like over several days, but I wouldn’t bring it down to 1.024. Salinity is the foundation of all the other elements. If you drop it that low, the rest of your elements will fall out of target range and your entire biology will take a hit. Try to keep it at 1.026 or even at 27.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
fishywishy

fishywishy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not if you do it slowly. Like over several days, but I wouldn’t bring it down to 1.024. Salinity is the foundation of all the other elements. If you drop it that low, the rest of your elements will fall out of target range and your entire biology will take a hit. Try to keep it at 1.026 or even at 27.
So it’s okay to leave it at 1.027

Upvote 0

AydenLincoln

Pufferfish lover!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
1   0   0
Only a sudden HUGE drastic change will and even then most inverts can handle it but stability is better. If you think about the ocean the salinity fluctuates with rain and evaporation. I’d bring it down to 1.026 because it’s the average ocean salinity and most used/recommended by most people.

Upvote 0

Reefing threads: Do you wear gear from reef brands?

• I wear reef gear everywhere.

Votes: 32 16.2%
  • I wear reef gear primarily at fish events and my LFS.

Votes: 11 5.6%
  • I wear reef gear primarily for water changes and tank maintenance.

Votes: 1 0.5%
  • I wear reef gear primarily to relax where I live.

Votes: 25 12.6%
  • I don’t wear gear from reef brands.

Votes: 116 58.6%
  • Other.

Votes: 13 6.6%
Back