How many of you had to adjust salt mix (Ca, alk, or Mg) after mixing new water? I am on the 3rd bucket that needs that, was not a problem before.

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I rarely had this problem before, doing all as it should be done, dry mixing a salt is a bucket or a bad before using, still parameters are away from what they should be according to the manufacturer. Thought about bad batch or stored in improper place, bought another brand, the same. Third one, also needs adjustments for each mixing. Not for all of elements, then refractometer calibration would be a suspect. Mine is calibrated with TLF AccuraSea.

Salifert test kits, API as a back up. Salts: light blue bucket, uncommon highly recommended brand, Fritz RPM blue box, Aquaforest. Had no problems with Aquaforest before.

Am I missing something or just a bad luck, repeatedly? Changed test kits, the same.

OP
OP
D

dk2nt9

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Did you test source water?
Yes, 3 ppm TDS, as it should be with RO without DI. Zero alk, Ca and Mg.

With levels, I have no special requirements for low end pico reefs, as long as alkalinity is 8 dKH, Ca 380+ ppm, Mg 1300+ ppm.

Was searching for the solution again, will try more thorough dry mixing after getting sturdy clear bags. DRS research for salt mix stratification says that this should be not an issue for these salts, but who know, it wouldn't hurt to try.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 35.0%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 15 37.5%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 20.0%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.5%
Back