how many of your fish have actually bounced?

Ballyhoo

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
just curious how common it is when people don't have lids that their fish leap out of the tanks

skey44

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Red Sea regal angel, so sad. Also had some tilefish turn into doggie treats on the fly, smh.
Countless others but these are the most memorable.

DED65

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve had a Yellow Coris Wrasse and a Flame Angel jump, probably due to one mean Maroon Clown. Unfortunately the dogs have better sniffers than I. In the freshwater, I have a Clown Loach that likes to explore. I have found it dried out, thrown it back in the tank and it has been fine for many years.

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a yellow coris wrasse manage to get through the innovative marine mesh lid (somehow went through the mesh).

Mr. Mojo Rising

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I currently have 3 tanks, I have about 17 fish right now between all my tanks, been keeping aquariums for over 15 years, always lidless.... I would guesstimate that I have lost less than 10 fish (by jumping) in all these years.

The jumpers have always been new fish, with me less than one week. Once the fish is established, it won't/shouldn't jump. With that said, I won't keep jawfish or chalk basses anymore because they jump no matter what.

I feel the main things are don't overstock, don't stock with aggressive fish, and provide lots of hiding spots in the rockwork.

Waters

"...in perfect isolation, here behind my wall."
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have lost a handful of fish over the years due to jumping (clowns, lionfish, wrasse). I now no longer will keep a tank without a lid. It isn't worth the stress to me of having to check the carpet every morning when I walk by the tank. I have even had a fish jump out of a 5 gallon bucket only half filled with water while acclimating.

CrimsonTide

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I had a regular clown jump once through a lid somehow. I found it on the floor the next morning. I think the bigger clown scared it right out of the tank. I got a replacement and the other clown has never scared its new mate out of the tank again. It has been 3 years since that incident. The big clown however used to somehow jump through a tiny hole a land on top of the mesh. I made the lid myself with a window screen making kit and it was a little saggy. Luckily the fish would land and be semi in water but still on its side. So the fish could breath but not flip over. So the fish probably gave itself a sunburn from an AI Prime 16HD I think 4 times but it never died. I would find it and put it back in the tank and like someone who fell asleep at the beach on one side it had a crusty side and a nice side. After about a week the crusty side would go away. It hasn't done this in probably a year or so now but that clown is happy and healthy today. No scars. They always healed. It was a Darwin clown too.

LPS Bum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
A few years ago I lost an 8 inch Queen Angel that I’d had for years. She jumped out despite having a lid (small uncovered section in the back). Broke my heart.

Never again. Now all my tanks are as close to 100% covered as possible.

DIYreefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
10   0   0
I use a tight fitting canopy specifically to eliminate jumpers killing themselves. It's not the sleekest look, but I haven't lost a fish to jumping in many years.

Ghostweim

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am in the same boat, lost 4 gobies before I changed the cover. The holes are now 2x 1.5 mm.
I lost a goby also - switched to a Kraken Reef lid (which are amazing) and added some additional reinforcement on my IM AIO overflow section. I had picked up a tailspot blenny and did not want to see him carpet surfing!!

JHSteepat

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Had a foxface jump after six months without a lid, and I was days away from finishing my “custom” lid (diy). Glad it went behind the tank with my Bernese mix puppy who eats everything….

Joe.D

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a tight fitting lid and it does its job. However, I’ve still lost fish to jumping when cleaning/doing a water change. 1 watchman goby, 2 diamond gobies (one of those was forgetting to replace the small feeding cover one night), and a Da Vinci clown.

I have a 4’ tank and have since added some safe guards. I took a piece of corrugated plastic 4’ long and cut it to about 10” wide. I then cut a couple of notches to fit around the arms of may lights. It rests against the wall and overlaps the lip of the tank. Some of my jumpers would end up behind the tank and I wouldn’t see them until I noticed they were gone and would look back there. This prevents fish from ending up behind the tank as they’ll hit the guard or the wall and slide back in.

I’ve also purchased a pice of 1/4” thick plexiglass 4’ x 2’ and had them cut it in half at Home Depot. I keep one in place if I’m working in the tank and slide it over when I move to the other half. If I walk away, I put the other one on.

I now do a roll cal every time I have the lid off. Pretty easy as I only have 8 fish and I know all of their hiding spots.

Get a lid, the investment pays for itself and safeguards your fish friends.

Making aqua concoctions: Have you ever tried the Reef Moonshiner Method?

• I currently use the moonshiner method.

Votes: 51 20.4%
  • I don’t currently use the moonshiner method, but I have in the past.

Votes: 5 2.0%
  • I have not used the moonshiner method.

Votes: 182 72.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 12 4.8%
Back