How many tangs

Mike in CT

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all due respect to joeganja, the least of your worries having 5 tangs together in your size tank would be the filtration. (Although that is a huge bioload) If anyone posted on here that a LFS told you that 5 tangs were fine, they would tell you to find a new store.

reeferaddict420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try adding some schooling fish like anthias.. Even a school of blue chromis will add color and movement.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a purple tang, naso, and male blue throat trigger in a 90 gallon and they do all fine. The trigger doesn't touch my cleaner shrimp or starfish or even my baby ruby red scooter dragonet. I personally recommend you get a naso tang. Blonde may be a little more aggressive then the regular ones but they have an amazing personality. If you want to have a desjardini they tend to get aggressive as they get older. The regular sailfin is your better bet. I've had both and there is a big difference. I'd add your purple tang and the zebrasoma species last unless you plan to add all the tangs at once. I've had a yellow tang, sailfin, blonde naso, naso, purple, regal, desjardini, powder blue, and a yellow eye cole. And the easiest to care for would be naso and sailfin. Most difficult any of the powder blue or powder brown and the acantharus species. Having tangs is beautiful but some just don't get along and can't behave lol. And 5 tangs should be fine in a 125 gallon as long as you have good filtration. A good skimmer and a phosphate reactor especially since your going to have corals and with all the waste that is produced by the tangs those phosphates will shoot up.

The three fish you start off by listing shouldn't fight nevermind being a species that dont belong in a 90. A naso is one of the most peaceful tangs and a triggerfish shouldn't have an quarrels with either tang. Filtration is meaningless when you are speaking in terms of territory.

Kworker

Tang Lover
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Try adding some schooling fish like anthias.. Even a school of blue chromis will add color and movement.

I agree, I am not really a fan of anthias but love Chromis. As someone stated, reef safe wrasses are good. I would look into flashers and fairy wrasses.

OP
OP
thedasher

thedasher

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was thinking about adding schooling fish but everyone is saying that if you add a school, they will kill each other and you will end up with only one or two of them.

Pete polyp

acro serial killer
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
With all due respect to joeganja, the least of your worries having 5 tangs together in your size tank would be the filtration. (Although that is a huge bioload) If anyone posted on here that a LFS told you that 5 tangs were fine, they would tell you to find a new store.

+ another 1

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
But, if they were as follows,
Mimic Tang
White tail Tang
Tomini Tang
Two Spot Bristletooth Tang
Squaretail Bristletooth
Then there would not be any problems as to size.

saltyhog

blowing bubbles somewhere
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's 4 tangs in the same genus! I'm contemplating two in a tank with a similar foot print (72X24) and I'm a little concerned. Size is not the only consideration.

Reefing Madness

Carbon Doser
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thats about the only way to get away with it in such a small tank, is using small Tangs. Not saying they would all get along, but if he added them all at the same time, they would all have a good chance.

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I plan on keeping 2 or 3 in a 120, but this being a yellow, a purple and maybe a powder brown. That being said I do feel 5 tangs is a lot for a 125, especially any of the larger tangs such as a Naso, or any of the powders. I think you'd be much better off with 3 tops. Like stated earlier they do eat a lot, but the main problem is aggression. Best of luck :)

WindeyD

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In my opinion it is important to select fish that will be able to live well to maturity in a given system. Many will do ok when small but there will be problems as they mature. I see often that folks advise to select fish and then trade them in once they outgrow your system; I don't like that mentality as I feel it is not in the best interest of the animals to keep our reefs this way.

luamada

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
tangs

I have in a 350G tank and they are happy and fat. i think it all depends on their feedings... my tank numbers are all 0s and Nitrate is 2. water change weekly..
4 yellows
3 Regals
1 sailfin
1 purple
1 achilles
1 naso
1 powder blue
they only get stressed when i clean the glass or feed corals or do water changes. no other stress or fights
BUT the trick is when you put them in.... they all have to go together in quarentine (thats the difficult part)
good luck

reeferaddict420

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
[quote name=&quot;reeferaddict420&quot; post=2269628]Paul I wouldn't keep a purple and a yellow together..[/QUOTE]<br />
<br />
Why not? They get along all the time.<br/>
Well to start they are both zebrasoma and you should only keep one in a tank.. your purple may become aggressive towards the yellow.. if they are fighting then you may lose a fish or worse yet create an ich outbreak from the elevated stress level.. +1 from experience

PaulKreider

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Reeferaddict; I could name dozens of tanks with multiple Zebgrasoma, I believe it comes down to more of a nutrition/hiding/territory situation. The statement of not keeping two Zebrasoma in a single tank just seems outdated.

Back