OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

Few beers and I'll frag anything...
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now my Powerhead is halfway down my tank. So it doesn't agitate the surface any, which will likely cause in less precipitation. Should I move it up so it constantly is moving the surface, in turn causing my ATO to run more often?

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That will help some. Can also add a small fan blowing across the water to add some evaporative cooling.
Isn't that kind of the opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish? A fan blowing across the top to cut down on evaporation, while I want my ATO to run more?

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Isn't that kind of the opposite of what I'm trying to accomplish? A fan blowing across the top to cut down on evaporation, while I want my ATO to run more?

Oops...he is saying a fan blowing across the top will *increase* evaporation....which as I understand it, you want.

Cheers!

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Right now my Powerhead is halfway down my tank. So it doesn't agitate the surface any, which will likely cause in less precipitation. Should I move it up so it constantly is moving the surface, in turn causing my ATO to run more often?

What does the surface agitation have to do with precipitation?

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Wouldn't the surface being continually agitated, increase evaporation?

I think the confusion lies in using the word "precipitation", when I believe you mean "evaporation". The two words do not mean the same thing. You shouldn't have to worry about increasing evaporation unless you are already at fully saturated limewater in your ato and it still isn't keeping up.

Cheers!

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think the confusion lies in using the word "precipitation", when I believe you mean "evaporation". The two words do not mean the same thing. You shouldn't have to worry about increasing evaporation unless you are already at fully saturated limewater in your ato and it still isn't keeping up.

Cheers!
Oh I didn't even realize I used the word precipitation, instead of evaporation. Well the only reason I want more evaporation, obviously to run the ATO more. I'm only at 8 teaspoons, so still have another 2 teaspoons left to dissolve. I just figure I'll try this before going the full 10 teaspoons, I already have a pretty big ph swing with 8 teaspoons.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Oh I didn't even realize I used the word precipitation, instead of evaporation. Well the only reason I want more evaporation, obviously to run the ATO more. I'm only at 8 teaspoons, so still have another 2 teaspoons left to dissolve. I just figure I'll try this before going the full 10 teaspoons, I already have a pretty big ph swing with 8 teaspoons.

Are you using kalk or baking soda in your ato?

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hmm. Just trying to figure out why you would have what you are describing as big ph swings. I also have a 30 stocked mostly with lps, and only see minor pH or dKH variations...using kalk in my top off really settled out mine.
What size swings in pH do you see?
How much volume does your ato pump each fill cycle?

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hmm. Just trying to figure out why you would have what you are describing as big ph swings. I also have a 30 stocked mostly with lps, and only see minor pH or dKH variations...using kalk in my top off really settled out mine.
What size swings in pH do you see?
How much volume does your ato pump each fill cycle?
Well I have 8 teaspoons dissolved, and my ph swing is about .35. It drops shortly after dosed. I'm not sure, I have the 3155, so when it drops below the eye it runs. I'd say no more than 2 cups. Yeah I can't really understand how 8 teaspoons isn't enough to keep my numbers stable.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Well I have 8 teaspoons dissolved, and my ph swing is about .35. It drops shortly after dosed. I'm not sure, I have the 3155, so when it drops below the eye it runs. I'd say no more than 2 cups. Yeah I can't really understand how 8 teaspoons isn't enough to keep my numbers stable.

That is a strange one. Where is your pH meter and where does your top off enter the system?

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the back chambers, my ATO runs right into my back chamber, next to my ph meter.

Waterjockey

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the back chambers, my ATO runs right into my back chamber, next to my ph meter.

Ok....pretty sure I see what is happening now. Try this.....can you move your ph probe to read near the inlet to your filtration setup? i.e. in the tank, near the overflow for a couple of days? I suspect you are reading a mix of the concentrated top off and tank water whenever your ato kicks on. If you move the probe "upstream" of your ato, I think your swings will dissapear. That will give you a much more accurate/stable reading.

OP
OP
Jakepen

Jakepen

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Ok....pretty sure I see what is happening now. Try this.....can you move your ph probe to read near the inlet to your filtration setup? i.e. in the tank, near the overflow for a couple of days? I suspect you are reading a mix of the concentrated top off and tank water whenever your ato kicks on. If you move the probe "upstream" of your ato, I think your swings will dissapear. That will give you a much more accurate/stable reading.
Yeah that's true, I thought of that, but didn't really think of that. I just figured, it was a large swing. I assumed it was not so drastic through the entire tank, being its much more dispersed. I will move it though.

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

That makes sense.

Happy Reefing. :)

Bubbles, bubbles, and more bubbles: Do you keep bubble-like corals in your reef?

• I currently have bubble-like corals in my reef.

Votes: 51 39.8%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I have in the past.

Votes: 15 11.7%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 36 28.1%
  • I don’t currently have bubble-like corals in my reef and have no plans to in the future.

Votes: 24 18.8%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.6%

Back