How Much Carbon?

Reef Pets

Bioprospector
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I use to run carbon many years ago on my show tank. But, I dont remember how much I ran per gallon. So, just to give an idea how much carbon are you guys running per gallon?
I don't want to over do it but I want to make sure that I have enough to get the job done.

GMaquarium

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Not sure you could really overdo it with carbon. I am a huge fan of it and run GAC in all my systems. Some I load up quite a bit and change every three to four weeks, others I use a lot less of it and change weekly. For example on 160gallons of water I use a measuring cup and change weekly, on another 160gallon system I use 3-4cups and change monthly. The reasons for doing two different ways is because at one point I was trying to do a study on it and just kinda fell into the routine. All the monthly refills I still take out and wash under tap water and crunch up the particles with my fingers. Overall I would have to say that I do notice a difference, the tanks that get weekly fresh carbon are much more clear and skimmers seem to take out less junk

Sikryd

hmm...Sweet!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
LOL - I guess I lack on the technical approach, I just fill my 150 reactor up and throw some GFO in there as well and call it a day - never really thought to actually measure it out.
I guess on LARGE systems it would be more economical to do so though.....

str8salt

OG SALT CREEP!!!
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I replace my container in my canister bi monthly. I would guess it holds about 6 cups. It is on my 75. Happy reefing.,

iFisch

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm using about 3/4 cup on my BC14g.

Rinse in RODI water once a week, and lasts about a month.

I use more, just to use some of the space in the "sump" area on my BC14.

flricordia

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I started Purigen in a reactor and am getting excellent results with it. Much better than carbon IMO. Supposedly does not remove as much of the trace elements as carbon, but no way to test, just what I understand.

Going off the ledge: Would you be interested in a drop off aquarium?

• I currently have a drop off style aquarium

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I don’t currently have a drop off style aquarium, but I have in the past.

Votes: 1 1.7%
  • I haven’t had a drop off style aquarium, but I plan to in the future.

Votes: 8 13.3%
  • I am interested in a drop off style aquarium, but have no plans to add one in the future.

Votes: 25 41.7%
  • I am not interested in a drop off style aquarium.

Votes: 24 40.0%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 3.3%
Back