How much Nori for 1 Tang

phildoingthings

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R community!

Just picked up my first tang (a beautiful juvenile Purple Tang). Seems to be settling into her new home just fine.
I just was wondering how much Nori I should feed? I don’t want to over do it and I don’t want to “under do it” either.
It’s the only fish I have that eats Nori as part of a normal diet so I only need to feed enough for the one small Tang (about 1”-1.5” in size)
I did 1/8th of a sheet today and it only picked at it a little bit and most ended up going into the sump by the end of the day.

any advice much appreciated!

((FORDTECH))

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hey R2R community!

Just picked up my first tang (a beautiful juvenile Purple Tang). Seems to be settling into her new home just fine.
I just was wondering how much Nori I should feed? I don’t want to over do it and I don’t want to “under do it” either.
It’s the only fish I have that eats Nori as part of a normal diet so I only need to feed enough for the one small Tang (about 1”-1.5” in size)
I did 1/8th of a sheet today and it only picked at it a little bit and most ended up going into the sump by the end of the day.

any advice much appreciated!
In the beginning a lot of the nori will go in overflow. Takes few days for tangs to start to eat it. I would say 1/8 to 1/4 sheet a day is about right

G Santana

Hospitality Elf
View Badges
Reaction score
https://www.reef2reef.com/threads/this-little-pigg
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
In the beginning a lot of the nori will go in overflow. Takes few days for tangs to start to eat it. I would say 1/8 to 1/4 sheet a day is about right
I agree with this, I have two larger tangs who I started feeding and entire sheet but have cut it back to a 1/4 sheet because they were leaving so much. Now by the end of the day the 1/4 sheet is all but gone.
So an 1/8 of a sheet should be fine for your PT.
Good luck with your new tang.

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may find that at first your only fish eating the nori is the tang but actually, all of the fish we keep in reefs (aside from the main predators such as lions) will eat algae. I have 6 wrasses in my 4’ tank and all of them eat the nori along with my Angel, Foxface and Twin Spot Bristletooth Tang.

Someshmuk

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Nori every other day but really if your tang is eating the fish food you're giving, you can take your time to acclimate them to your tank as well as acclimate them to eating nori. I've got my tangs and foxface eating a mix of herbivore and normal fish food flake on an automatic food timer with a once and a while pile of nori when I'm wanting to treat them.

OrionN

Anemones
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add nori where it is floating around in the tank. Rather attach it to a clip or tied it to a rock. I use a clip ans suspended it in the middle of the tank, just under the water surface. Add enough so the tang(s) finish near the end of the day.
How to train the fishes and feed Nori to our tank

BigBoneTangs.jpg

Nemo&Friends

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I give 2 Julian Spring sheets daily on a hanging clip, and it is gone by the end of the day. I cut the sheets in half, so I get 4 layers, in my clip, and the sheet are held tight. I found that it is better that a single sheet that get torn pulled out fast, and end up shred in pieces by my power head.
Foxface, hippo tang and Ebli angel rush to it as soon as I place it in the tank. Yes, I see other fish nibbling Nori occasionally, but never my six line.
They all eat carnivorous food too. I like that Nori, as they can nibble on it thru the day, instead of eating all at once in a few minutes.

Gtinnel

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Don't add nori where it is floating around in the tank. Rather attach it to a clip or tied it to a rock. I use a clip ans suspended it in the middle of the tank, just under the water surface. Add enough so the tang(s) finish near the end of the day.
How to train the fishes and feed Nori to our tank

BigBoneTangs.jpg
That’s an awesome picture of some clearly happy, chubby tangs.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
You may find that at first your only fish eating the nori is the tang but actually, all of the fish we keep in reefs (aside from the main predators such as lions) will eat algae. I have 6 wrasses in my 4’ tank and all of them eat the nori along with my Angel, Foxface and Twin Spot Bristletooth Tang.
A big misconception is that carnivores don't eat veggies and that herbivores don't eat meat. Almost all do. Carnivores eat vegetables to help with digestion and herbivores eat meat to get the essential amino acids they don't get from plants. So if you're in the woods and you see a deer gobble up a frog or bird don't be surprised its quite normal.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real reason I'm here is that I have a related question.

My 6" foxface is eating a ton of nori. It's currently on half a sheet of LRS per day but will finish that in seconds. Should I feed it more? Less?
IMG_2344.jpeg

Dave1993

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

i cant think

Wrasse Addict
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Real reason I'm here is that I have a related question.

My 6" foxface is eating a ton of nori. It's currently on half a sheet of LRS per day but will finish that in seconds. Should I feed it more? Less?
IMG_2344.jpeg
I would feed him more, my question for you is how did he get so fat?! Mine remains on the skinnier side (Not overly skinny that it’s worrying but not extremely fat).

FIN&BONEZ

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Should be mentioned that a lot of us keep these beauties not only for there looks and personality but also as a constant grazer to keep nuisance at bay. We feed our four. naso, hippo, achilles, and desjardini maybe a sheet a week if we remember. Fat and happy are good things, spoiled rotten is not. And trust me they will get spoiled.

Slocke

Wrasse and Eel Nerd
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would feed him more, my question for you is how did he get so fat?! Mine remains on the skinnier side (Not overly skinny that it’s worrying but not extremely fat).
Thanks!
How do I get him so fat? I feed him half a sheet of nori per day obviously.

I don't know really. It's a good eater but being shy misses out on food to others. However it loves pellets over frozen which is obviously an easy way to get a lot of calories to it. It is a chunky tank though.

Figuring out the why: Has your primary reason(s) for keeping a saltwater aquarium changed over time?

• My reasons for reef keeping have changed dramatically.

Votes: 11 9.0%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have somewhat evolved.

Votes: 53 43.4%
  • My reasons for reef keeping have no changed.

Votes: 57 46.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 0.8%
Back