How much prime to use to eliminate bleach?

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5g bucket of dry rock curing in half a gallon of bleach and 4 gallons of bleach. After a week of bleach soaking I'm going to dump the water then fill it back up with fresh rodi and some prime. And after that I will sun dry the rock to be 100% sure all bleach is gone.
My question is how much seachem prime should I use in the 5g after the bleach is removed and how long should it soak in the fresh rodi and dechlorinator.

bluprntguy

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I have a 5g bucket of dry rock curing in half a gallon of bleach and 4 gallons of bleach. After a week of bleach soaking I'm going to dump the water then fill it back up with fresh rodi and some prime. And after that I will sun dry the rock to be 100% sure all bleach is gone.
My question is how much seachem prime should I use in the 5g after the bleach is removed and how long should it soak in the fresh rodi and dechlorinator.

Assume you meant 1/2 gallon of bleach and 4 gallons of WATER?

I’d rinse the rocks first in plain RODI water and then dump the rinse water. Rinse again with 2-3 capfuls (10-15 ml) of prime and let that sit overnight. Most of the bleach would have broken down by this point or been rinsed away, so you shouldn’t need much Prime.

mfinn

likes zoanthids
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
6   0   0
When I use any dechlorinator product, I usually use 4-5 times the amount recommended on the bottle.
It's probably over kill, but it's better to use more than not enough.

Dr. Reef

www.drreefsquarantinedfish.com
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Bleach is liquid form of chlorine and prime will neutralize it. Prime can be used 5 times the recommended dose in case.

OP
OP
Jake_the_reefer

Jake_the_reefer

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Assume you meant 1/2 gallon of bleach and 4 gallons of WATER?

I’d rinse the rocks first in plain RODI water and then dump the rinse water. Rinse again with 2-3 capfuls (10-15 ml) of prime and let that sit overnight. Most of the bleach would have broken down by this point or been rinsed away, so you shouldn’t need much Prime.
Yeah sorry 4 gallons of water lol. Thank you I'll do 2-3 caps and let it chill

Randy Holmes-Farley

Reef Chemist
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Prime absolutely does remove bleach

Welcome to Reef2Reef!

I would note, the thread you responded to is a few years old and the originator of the thread (often referred to as the OP, has not been on since last year. :)

Building with glass and silicone: Have you ever built a tank or had a custom tank built?

• I have built an aquarium.

Votes: 26 14.7%
  • I have had a custom tank built.

Votes: 40 22.6%
  • I have never built a tank or had a custom tank built.

Votes: 103 58.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 8 4.5%
Back