• Total voters

RSNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
For myself, I feed phyto twice a day with fish fish feeding:

take 3 cubes, thaw in freshwater
Once thawed, rinse twice with freshwater, then dump food without water into a cup. Then add about 20ml saltwater to cup.
add 5ml of phyto to cup.
Feed tank with pipette as if you’re just trying to focus on feeding the food, naturally you will have to suck up the liquid to get the food in the pipette. Feed until the food is gone.
toss any leftover phyto or water down the drain.

Clanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
For myself, I feed phyto twice a day with fish fish feeding:

take 3 cubes, thaw in freshwater
Once thawed, rinse twice with freshwater, then dump food without water into a cup. Then add about 20ml saltwater to cup.
add 5ml of phyto to cup.
Feed tank with pipette as if you’re just trying to focus on feeding the food, naturally you will have to suck up the liquid to get the food in the pipette. Feed until the food is gone.
toss any leftover phyto or water down the drain.
I too use turkey baster , I just got 2 small engineers that will not come up for food so I have to target their burrow ha , just looking at my red sea and it's alive with pods in the water column which surely can't be a bad thing esp as it's mainly softies in there and they are great crap eaters ...do you find any problems with algae in the tank since using phyto ?

RSNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
I too use turkey baster , I just got 2 small engineers that will not come up for food so I have to target their burrow ha , just looking at my red sea and it's alive with pods in the water column which surely can't be a bad thing esp as it's mainly softies in there and they are great crap eaters ...do you find any problems with algae in the tank since using phyto ?
No, I don’t see anything out of the ordinary since dosing the phyto, but I see film algae on the glass as a way of life with reef tanks, so clean the glass every other day and blow the rocks off with a small fountain pump every 2 weeks. Between that and my purple tang / bristle tooth tang, algae is well within control, no hair algae, just film algae that comes off easily.

what I’ve been finding is small doses of anything frequently rather than a large dose infrequently is much more stable and manageable.

RSNJReef

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Does day or night for phyto dosing have an impact?
No difference in what I see results wise, but typically most of my corals put out their feeder tentacles around a half hour before lights out, so I’m guessing that the possibility of digestion would be higher at night, at least with my corals.

while I am seeing all of my corals begin to slowly split now (and I don’t believe this is just because of the phyto, there’s a lot of other factors that would influence this), I don’t see a difference just yet results wise with dosing morning or evening.

Clanger

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
No, I don’t see anything out of the ordinary since dosing the phyto, but I see film algae on the glass as a way of life with reef tanks, so clean the glass every other day and blow the rocks off with a small fountain pump every 2 weeks. Between that and my purple tang / bristle tooth tang, algae is well within control, no hair algae, just film algae that comes off easily.

what I’ve been finding is small doses of anything frequently rather than a large dose infrequently is much more stable and manageable.
Yep I don't think anyone doesn't get film algae 2 mins with magnet job done ,I shall carry on with phyto ,makes perfect sense ,cheers

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 24 27.6%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 32 36.8%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 25 28.7%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 1.1%
Back