How quickly did you introduce corals and any tips for starting?

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New 65g tank just starting/learning, we have two clowns in QT. The tank will cycle with turbo 900, live sand and caribsea life rock.

We have reefapalooza coming up in a few weeks and would really like to bring home some colorful corals — our LFS are pretty limited. Originally I didn’t want to rush this, but seems like the best opportunity (minus the quick timeframe).

Would it be a bad idea to stock up there so early in the tank? Suggestions on types, quantity, literally anything? lol Any fish recommendations if I wanted to be prepped for corals (if that’s even a thing).

OP
OP
N

NancyFish

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I’ve put corals in my last two tanks within a week. If you know how to keep water parameters stable and are vigilant it should be ok.
Is that really all it is? I keep reading people say you should wait until tanks “mature” .. But then I read some people start with corals, or toss them in new QTs. I would just feel like a idiot if I bought a bunch and then they died

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Start with soft corals. You can add them anytime. Technically it's best to qt corals too but I'm not as worried for most if you can get them off the frag plug.

BUT

You need to make sure nitrate and phosphate are not 0.00. You may need a coral food until the fish can generate enough waste.

liddojunior

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I actually like this guide and idea from reef builders, and that’s to cycle with corals first.

Corals Just like with freshwater, there are advanced user plants that can’t be introduced right away.

I actually think corals, when you don’t dip. Can actually bring soo much needed biodiversity that can really help stabilize your tank.

I started a tank with corals right away and only lost 2 frags of coral when I have about 50 or so frags. The trick is testing your alk and maintaining your all levels

Spare time

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Is that really all it is? I keep reading people say you should wait until tanks “mature” .. But then I read some people start with corals, or toss them in new QTs. I would just feel like a idiot if I bought a bunch and then they died

Imo tank maturity is more about the keeper understanding the rhythm of the tank rather than something about the tank itself.

crazyfishmom

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
It’s a lot more difficult to maintain every aspect of water chemistry than I made it out to be. I maintain nutrients and bacteria dose and make sure that I’m feeding corals and stuff like that. I’m not suggesting you load up your tank with acros unless you’ve kept Coral before and know which levers to pull if things start to go south. That said, soft corals and some LPS are fairly easy to keep if you maintain good water parameters.

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
New 65g tank just starting/learning, we have two clowns in QT. The tank will cycle with turbo 900, live sand and caribsea life rock.

We have reefapalooza coming up in a few weeks and would really like to bring home some colorful corals — our LFS are pretty limited. Originally I didn’t want to rush this, but seems like the best opportunity (minus the quick timeframe).

Would it be a bad idea to stock up there so early in the tank? Suggestions on types, quantity, literally anything? lol Any fish recommendations if I wanted to be prepped for corals (if that’s even a thing).
It depends on your level of experience.

If you have run successful tanks before, you'll know the warning signs and react appropriately and swiftly if something goes off track.

If this is a first tank, I'd wait 3 months for LPS and at least 6-12 months for SPS coral.

Otherwise you will most likely be throwing money down the drain, and possibly will throw in the towel.

CoastalTownLayabout

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Adding a few hardy, low light tolerant softies is likely not going to be an issue. The real problem with your proposed plan is that you’ll get to the show and be immediately seduced by intensely coloured corals or nice looking fish that will probably struggle in your new system.

Taking it slow is probably the most offered but ignored piece of advice given on reefing forums. If it’s any help to you that deep feeling of impatience doesn’t go away any time soon. Bouncing between impulse buys, anxiety and conflicting advice on forums isn’t fun! It’s difficult for beginners but the sooner you can relax into the timeframes a new system sets the more enjoyable the hobby will become.

Malum Argenteum

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
We have reefapalooza coming up in a few weeks and would really like to bring home some colorful corals — our LFS are pretty limited.
Ordering online can be a very good option.

Everything is properly labeled (unlike a typical LFS, at least).

There is time to mull over your decision and do some research into the coral type (unlike both an LFS and an expo).

Online, there's an easy ability to buy the coral from one source and get your info from other sources (unlike an LFS and an expo), which makes the info more likely to be objective.

Online, you can typically choose the exact day the corals show up (unlike an expo, at least, where you get the corals on the day of the expo or not at all).

SuperReefNoob

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I jumped the gun and added a few corals after about 1.5-2 months, my nitrates dropped out to 0 but bounced back after about a week and they are doing fantastic

started with:
Candy Cane
Emerald mushroom
Green Star polyp
Zoanthid colony on about a 3" round rock

PotatoPig

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There’s more to it than it sounds.

Two big factors:

1. There is a LOT to know about these tanks. They’re very complex ecosystems and most of the creatures you want to live in them are fairly particular.

2. Unless you REALLY know what you’re doing your water parameters are going to jump around a lot in the first few months as various species of algae and microfauna go through boom/bust cycles until they reach some sort of equilibrium. This can stress more sensitive corals and sets them up to fail.

worstcaseontario

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Sorry I'm late to the party! My current tank I have running, I put coral in 72 hours after it had water. I dont reccomend this quickly but....It took a bunch of close monitoring and preparedness, But it was fine. You just need to be ready for something to quickly pop up and you need to have everything sort of ready so you can deal with it faster than how it happened. I think you will be ok. How ever, if you chose to go this route, I would recommend staying with soft coral as they tend to be more hearty. As mentioned above, your water parameters are going to jump around a lot in the beginning phase of the tank. Hope this helps!

Freshwater filter only or is it? Have you ever used an HOB filter on a saltwater tank?

• I currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank.

Votes: 34 29.1%
  • I don’t currently use a HOB filter on my reef tank, but I have in the past.

Votes: 21 17.9%
  • I have used a HOB on fish only or quarantine tanks, but not on the display tank.

Votes: 28 23.9%
  • I have never used a HOB on a saltwater tank.

Votes: 32 27.4%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 1.7%
Back