How to achieve best Nitrate levels?

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been trying to determine what the best Nitrate ppm range is in my 55 gallon reef tank. I must not be searching correctly because I have yet to find anything definitive and would appreciate some advice.

So, what general ppm nitrate range is best for a reef tank?

My tank is 2.5 months old.
The nitrate level has been from zero to 10ppm since it cycled. It is back at zero now.
Nitrites have been zero since it cycled.
Ammonia jumped up to 0.25ppm from 12/18 to 12/23 then went back to zero.

Thanks

Phil

Dennis Cartier

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of reef tank? The inhabitants generally dictate the best nutrient level. Softies like dirtier water, lots of nutrients, LPS prefer dirtier water along with elevated Alk, and SPS prefer, some would say require, pristine clean water.

My recommendation would be if you are all softy, target 10 ppm for nitrate. Ditto if you are LPS, and if you are SPS only 1.5 - 5.0 ppm.

Dennis

Rmckoy

7500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I don’t believe it’s a set number but stability is key .
My old 90 gal mixed reef everything grew fast . Surprisingly enough nitrates were 20-40ppm

my current setup nitrates are 5-10 ppm and it seams everything is a lot slower

BroccoliFarmer

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
My old 90 gal mixed reef everything grew fast . Surprisingly enough nitrates were 20-40ppm

+1

There was a Randy thread that indicated high par and high alk needed higher nutrients or the corals would grow too fast, making the flesh too thin and burning (resulting in scorched tips). I went through this myself which is why I know. As such, it is not only based on what you want to keep but also your tank parameters, growth rate and other factors. I think it was said, but stability is probably the bigger issue here rather than shooting for a specific number. Once you find a level that your corals appreciate, that is your level. Ones that dont like it will generally die..the ones that are left will be happy.

Now to directly answer your question in the title, I strip out all nutrients with a good refugium and dose back Sodium phosphate and trisodium nitrate to keep my levels where I want them. My phosphates and nitrates are all but perfectly pegged where I want them.

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
What type of reef tank? The inhabitants generally dictate the best nutrient level. Softies like dirtier water, lots of nutrients, LPS prefer dirtier water along with elevated Alk, and SPS prefer, some would say require, pristine clean water.

My recommendation would be if you are all softy, target 10 ppm for nitrate. Ditto if you are LPS, and if you are SPS only 1.5 - 5.0 ppm.

Dennis
Thank you. I have both SPS and LPS corals. More LPS. I also have on Anemone at this time.

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
+1

There was a Randy thread that indicated high par and high alk needed higher nutrients or the corals would grow too fast, making the flesh too thin and burning (resulting in scorched tips). I went through this myself which is why I know. As such, it is not only based on what you want to keep but also your tank parameters, growth rate and other factors. I think it was said, but stability is probably the bigger issue here rather than shooting for a specific number. Once you find a level that your corals appreciate, that is your level. Ones that dont like it will generally die..the ones that are left will be happy.

Now to directly answer your question in the title, I strip out all nutrients with a good refugium and dose back Sodium phosphate and trisodium nitrate to keep my levels where I want them. My phosphates and nitrates are all but perfectly pegged where I want them.
Thank you. My stand is too small to put in a sump, so I don't have a Refugium. I need to upgrade to a larger tank. :)

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Thanks. My current "Zero" reading is evidently making some of my LPS corals a bit uncomfortable. So, I plan to go to the reef store and get some water treatment to bring up the nitrates.

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Dennis
Thanks for the info. I need to make some adjustments. Headed to the reef store.

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Stability wins.
With that all my systems are set to maintain these levels.
Also I only feed the fish and not the corals.
Temp 77
Sg 1.0265
Alk 8
Ca 420
Mag 1350
No3 <5
Po4 <.1
Thanks. I don't have an Alk tester at the moment.
Temp about 78
Sg 1.025
Ca 400ppm
Kh 179ppm

OP
OP
GrampsReef

GrampsReef

True Elegance
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I wanted to thank everyone for their guidance. I went by my favorite reef store and confirmed my latest nitrate reading, which was zero. My Carbonate hardness was up at 13dkh and magnesium was down at 1050ppm. They recommended Neo Nitrogen to bring my nitrates up and a water change to lower my Carbonate hardness and bring my Magnesium up. I changed 10% of my water and dosed the tank with 3ml of the Neo Nitrogen. I'll be checking to see how these impacted everything later this evening (24 hours after changes). I can tell that my corals and anemone are happy this morning.

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 16 39.0%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 8 19.5%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.4%
Back