How to add more sand to sandbed?

Jack_10218

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few years, my sandbed, especially in the front of my tank has been almost worn out, during my wc this weekend I exposed the bottom, so it’s time to add some more sand, but I’m not sure where to start. Some places I’ve seen say to use live sand to not suffocate the bacteria in the sand under it, others have said other things, how would you guys go about adding more sand?

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
After a few years, my sandbed, especially in the front of my tank has been almost worn out, during my wc this weekend I exposed the bottom, so it’s time to add some more sand, but I’m not sure where to start. Some places I’ve seen say to use live sand to not suffocate the bacteria in the sand under it, others have said other things, how would you guys go about adding more sand?

if using dry sand, I would wash it thoroughly. If "live sand" such as Carib-Sea, I would add it by the cupful (large drinking glass or similar, not an actual cup lol) directly from the bag. Try and get as close to the bottom as possible to avoid as much dust as possible. You are going to get dust no matter what you do, so be prepared for that. It will settle out in a few hours- overnight.

JoeinLA

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just following up on this not too old thread bc I’m thinking of adding more sand for a sand sifting goby and a jawfish. My bed is currently an inch or so and I’d like to double that to 2 inches or so. Tank is 85gal.

do I just buy the “live” sand (same as I used when starting up the tank) and add it in a bit at a time? Is the objective to minimize clouding or is there some nutrient issue with adding a lot of “live” sand at once?

Obviously would want to avoid any ammonia or other nutrient spike when adding in a bag of sand all at once…

Thanks!

Jedi1199

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Just following up on this not too old thread bc I’m thinking of adding more sand for a sand sifting goby and a jawfish. My bed is currently an inch or so and I’d like to double that to 2 inches or so. Tank is 85gal.

do I just buy the “live” sand (same as I used when starting up the tank) and add it in a bit at a time? Is the objective to minimize clouding or is there some nutrient issue with adding a lot of “live” sand at once?

Obviously would want to avoid any ammonia or other nutrient spike when adding in a bag of sand all at once…

Thanks!

Why would you think that sand would spike ammonia?

Use whatever sand you feel comfortable with and add it very slowly as close to the bottom as possible to avoid dust clouds.

Ingenuity against algae: Do you use DIY methods for controlling nuisance algae?

• I have used DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 20 54.1%
  • I use commercial methods for controlling algae, but never DIY methods.

Votes: 10 27.0%
  • I have not used commercial or DIY methods for controlling algae.

Votes: 6 16.2%
  • Other.

Votes: 1 2.7%
Back