How to best prepare your large reef for pictures. Specific problems with partickels.

large_reef_in_stockh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am trying to make some good pictures for this forum, and Instagram,

I wonder how you prepare your tank for this, the best way. I have a large DT reef 2400 liters or 630 USG.

My challenge is not that I get dirty water return from the sumps, I have a beast of a skimmer, macroalgae, and a large roller filter, next to the sumps I have a small quarantine system connected to the large system, and there the water is crystal clear, not a single particle.
The problem I have is pretty obviously (to me I think), big fisk, do big things in the DT :) my army of Wrasser do their thing when they sleep or hunt for food.

Here is what I have tried so far.
1) I now try to clean the sand weekly, basically a 150-liter water change, ohh my sand gets dirty.
2) "Microbubbels" at night time, this helped a lot as particles get to the surface and down the sumps.
3) Ozon, 200 mg 24/7 through a reactor, helps with clarity.
4) 85W UVC, also helps with clarity.

It would help to get more flow through my DT as I have around 1000 USG flow through sumps, but I can not double this as it will make the overflows pretty loud, and I have the aquarium in my home office. Just got the idea that I could just run a 2500 USG pump from the sump on the days I plan to take pictures...

I have also considered 5 large filter socks over the DT, that I can run the night before.

But is there better options out there from the pros :)

BR
Thomas

1ocean

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am building reactors to add to my 300 gallon sump with its own pump. This way the pump pushes water through the reactors and back into the sump. This way I can use anything like carbon, chemipure, siporax or what ever to increase filter performance with out having to increase flow of water from tank to sump and back. Reactors would help you increase sump performance without needing a bigger sump, stronger return pump or increase water flow and make noise as you stated...
What does your sump do now? does it do mechanical, biological and chemical filtration?
It should be doing at least first two...maybe I read it wrong, but I get the idea you are not running filter socks all the time or any mechanical..since you said you are considering running 5 filter socks the night before.

OP
OP
large_reef_in_stockh

large_reef_in_stockh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks for your reply :)

Due to the size of the skimmer I had to place it first, it is a copy of an older Red Dragon 400 internal skimmer, I push through 6000 USG water an hour and fresh air from outside.
After I have macroalgae in a 600 USG sump, quite a lot of detritus still gathers up under the algae, so I clean under it monthly. I have added an extra pump here so I have 2500 USG flow through the algae.
Then I have a Deltec VF 8000 for the last mechanical filtration.
In the same room as the return pump, I have an "Avast Marine Mutiny Qzone Reactor".
From the same room, I have connected my quarantine aquarium and here I have the 85W UVC.

The water in the quarantine is Christal clear :)

I do not have filter socks, I am considering having maybe 5 over the DT so I can get the water in the DT clear and free of particles. It is not a long-term solution .
I do not have a lot of space above the aquarium, or in it but a large roller filter in the DT would do the job, but not a long-term solution.

To get back to your idea; Yes I have considered building a larger but simple reactor, or a filter to hold Filter Foam and Filter Wool, just needs to be a bottomless super shallow frame that I glue in an egg crate...

That could be an option :) I will draft a DYI mechanical filter and post it later.

OP
OP
large_reef_in_stockh

large_reef_in_stockh

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
DYI mechanical filter to hang inside DT.

Attachments

• Free haning filtersystem.jpg
    Free haning filtersystem.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 33

PedroYoung

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Maybe a silly question but do you take pics with your return pump running? I shut down all flow in my tank when shooting (return and power heads).

Tentacled trailblazer in your tank: Have you ever kept a large starfish?

• I currently have a starfish in my tank.

Votes: 69 30.1%
  • Not currently, but I have kept a starfish in the past.

Votes: 64 27.9%
  • I have never kept a starfish, but I hope to in the future.

Votes: 49 21.4%
  • I have no plans to keep a starfish.

Votes: 45 19.7%
  • Other.

Votes: 2 0.9%
Back