How to Disassemble Jebao Smart DC Pump MDP

WhoIsCandice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Do any of you know how to disassemble the Jebao MDP DC Pumps?
I have the model rated for 8000 liters per hour, but all of them are basically the same

I basically woke up at 4 am this morning to my siphon-break in the pipe from my return pump to the display tank because the pump "failed" with err04.
Online searches seem to indicate that this means that the impeller is stuck.

I tried moving the rotor/ impeller but oh man, it's stuck pretty good. I see lots of limescale so I'm pretty sure that's the reason.

Anyways, I gave a acid bath but it isn't as fast as I want it to be. So, I was wondering, how could I disassemble this thing so I can access the impeller and scrub it down / better expose it to the acid bath?

1689868239796.png

Basically the pinwheel, the purplish / pink thing connected to the impeller, has lots of limescale, and so does the impeller, which I'm pretty convinced is the issue.
But the plastic transparent covering doesn't come off (or idk how to get it off).
There are no screws either.

The purplish base does come off, but it's just a stand for anti-vibration purposes.

The white plastic covering in the front comes off just by unscrewing it.

So how do I get access to the impeller lol?

Snoopy 67

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would remove the slotted cover, then try turning the clear plastic counterclockwise like a screw & see if that works.
The "purplish thing" is called a volute.

twentyleagues

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I think you may have to remove the base to get the volute off, pull base towards cord I believe. I have a few of these but havent cleaned them in a while. If this is still a thing when I get home I can grab one I'm not using and take it apart. I'm sure once its in my hands I'll remember.

OP
OP
W

WhoIsCandice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That was it.
I had to use my whole upper body to open this bad boy up
MDP JEBAO DISASSEMBLY.jpg

Alright, now I get to go back to descaling, and hopefully the pump comes back to life

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Howd the cleaning go? I was just woken up to an alarm on my hydros and found mine froze and i had to put on this super old offbrand one I had that came with the setup I have, thank god. I was turning the (im gonna call it) "flywheel" but it wasn't unfreezing.

I think its due for a cleaning and hope thats it.

Edit: LOL the word I was looking for was impeller. My excuse is being woken up at 245 AM with little sleep

OP
OP
W

WhoIsCandice

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

I was stuttering so hard in this video because I only had 4 hours of sleep and was doing acid baths, but I explained the symptoms I saw.

I had to completely clean the impeller and the inside of the pump which caused a huge amount of friction, so it would not rotate.

There was so much calcification that my 10% HCL bath slowly neutralized over hours with all this limescale.
If it's error 4, that means the impeller is stuck and a cleaning should fix it. Make sure to clean the internals and open it up as described in the video / thread.

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
That's what I thought.

I have mine sitting in salt water at the moment, but going to start a citric acid bath soon as I het home from work.

Thank yooou

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so, I start soaking in citric acid at about 730PM, i have never cleaned this pump before, its been running since about December 9 months ago.

It was almost completely clean, 0 visible signs of percipitation, just a little brown slime that comes and goes in my sump.

But I had to disassemble the impeller itself unlike the videos people show. It was so stuck, it took me about an hour of gently prying with 2 flathead screwdrivers. Once I moved it 40% up the shaft, it slid off, and aside from the unserside being a little black no observable muck or carbonate. I slid it back on imidiately as a test and it spun with near no friction. I have a feeling thay if I tapped it down with a hammer instead of prying, it would have freed up.

But for those of you, who get this error, with this pump, go further than those videos and also disassemble the impeller.

Actually, I will do one better, I have it running in the acid bath right now, working like a charm, but before I move to the rinse phase, I will disassemble and do a quick demo of what I did.

This ER04 is a very common complaint of this pump, and I have a feeling the stories of people having to replace them, is this, because if it was not for my prior knowledge of impellors of the style jebao uses and getting freebies I ripped apart because they were gonners, I would have never realized, that this aditional piece was a bearing, and I would have not have gotten it working.

Glad to have been able to get it working, after fiddling with it for 5 hours on no sleep. And thank you to the OP of this thread as the info out there is very slim.

pgroth1

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Alright so, I start soaking in citric acid at about 730PM, i have never cleaned this pump before, its been running since about December 9 months ago.

It was almost completely clean, 0 visible signs of percipitation, just a little brown slime that comes and goes in my sump.

But I had to disassemble the impeller itself unlike the videos people show. It was so stuck, it took me about an hour of gently prying with 2 flathead screwdrivers. Once I moved it 40% up the shaft, it slid off, and aside from the unserside being a little black no observable muck or carbonate. I slid it back on imidiately as a test and it spun with near no friction. I have a feeling thay if I tapped it down with a hammer instead of prying, it would have freed up.

But for those of you, who get this error, with this pump, go further than those videos and also disassemble the impeller.

Actually, I will do one better, I have it running in the acid bath right now, working like a charm, but before I move to the rinse phase, I will disassemble and do a quick demo of what I did.

This ER04 is a very common complaint of this pump, and I have a feeling the stories of people having to replace them, is this, because if it was not for my prior knowledge of impellors of the style jebao uses and getting freebies I ripped apart because they were gonners, I would have never realized, that this aditional piece was a bearing, and I would have not have gotten it working.

Glad to have been able to get it working, after fiddling with it for 5 hours on no sleep. And thank you to the OP of this thread as the info out there is very slim.
I've been having this problem with my jabao return pump. I can't seem to be able to disassemble the impeller, could you explain more specifically or post a video?

Court_Appointed_Hypeman

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I've been having this problem with my jabao return pump. I can't seem to be able to disassemble the impeller, could you explain more specifically or post a video?
What part you stuck on? Post a pic with where you are at.

Step 1 remove the plumbing
2 remove the base, (slides off)
3 unscrew the intake side of the housing, should be a quarter twist to the left iirc
4 keep track of the gasket, and pull the impeller out.

The part circled in blue pulls straight off
The part circled in red pulls straight off

The part jighlighted in yellow also comes off, this part is udually very stuck for me and I need to tap the shaft or use pliers to free it. I think there are either a silicone piece or 2 or some other piece thay is the same material as the shaft inbetween the propeller portion. And the magnetic portion.

Next time I take mine apart, I will make a video.

Basically, the secret is, to remove the shaft and clean that, and that everything should spin nearly frictionless on that shaft aside from the silicone piece.

This is where I had issues, I thought the magnetic part was fixed to the shaft, its not.

I've had to beat mine pretty hard to free it, but do be careful.

I tried to find videos of the process, but all of the maintenance videos suck, no one seems to know you can take it apart, and it just shows them brushing it, which is worthless aside from aesthetics essentially. My jebao is the smart DC version, so the colors in this pic do not match at all, but its the same. (Stole the pic from a video)

Attachments

• SmartSelect_20240226_221636_YouTube.jpg
    SmartSelect_20240226_221636_YouTube.jpg
    109.4 KB · Views: 20
Back