How to do a blackout for Dinoflagellates

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
To address my dinoflagellate issue in my SPS/LPS dominated mixed reef I'm going to try a blackout for 3-4 days per everyone's advice. However, I can't seem to find answers to the following questions regarding "how to do a blackout" in case anyone can help:
  1. Do I need to blackout my refugium/sump and keep those lights off also?
  2. Do I still feed the fish and/or corals during the blackout?
  3. Anything else I should change during the blackout (e.g. skimmer, UV, reactors, etc..)?
  4. Can I just turn the lights on after the blackout or should I ramp them up slowly? If so, how slowly?
  5. Is it bad to throw a blanket over the entire tank or will that negatively impact gas exchange (note: I can remote the airline for the skimmer)? If it will hurt, how do I black it out without covering up the top opening?
  6. Is there anything I should check on throughout the blackout period (e.g. could corals get hurt), or should I not peek?
Thanks for any help in answering any of these questions!
Mark

SkinnyMcGinny

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Hi,

Here's my two cents: YES, I would black out the refugium. NO, I don't think you need to feed fish or corals, likely they will go into a sleep-like state and metabolic rates will drop, they should be ok for 3-4 days with no food (I blacked out with anthiases for 5 days and they did fine). YES, leave skimmer, UV running. If you have a dosing pump, you might want to turn it off or way down, as your uptake will drop in dark, watch dKH. IDK about the blanket, I have a canopy with doors on the top of my tank so I didn't worry about that.

I do have one piece of bad news -- I fought an EPIC dyno-battle, the worst thing I've been through in the hobby, and tried 3-4 black-outs that never really worked. As soon as the lights came back on, the dynos came back. But blackouts are relatively easy, and maybe worth a try?

What worked for me, btw, was just getting my nutrients up, until the dynos all converted into some kind of green algae. Then half a dozen Turbo snails cleaned it up in a few days. Good luck.

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Especially the part about dialing back my dosing pumps. I didn't think about that.

Do you remember if you just cut the lights back on after the blackout or did you slowly ramp it up over a couple of days? I read one article that recommended ramping, but haven't heard anyone else mention it.

Thanks again.

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Thanks! Especially the part about dialing back my dosing pumps. I didn't think about that.

Do you remember if you just cut the lights back on after the blackout or did you slowly ramp it up over a couple of days? I read one article that recommended ramping, but haven't heard anyone else mention it.

Thanks again.
I would ramp lights back up over at least a week's time to avoid additional stress. I finally beat my case of ovata by increasing biodiversity and running uv. Good luck; can be a real challenge.

I think some reefers here have had success using Dr. Tim's dino formula and you might want to consider it.

bevo5

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 100%
2   0   0
Slowly ramp for sure.

try and limit any ambient light. I did a blackout in my basement and blocked out the windows with thick black trash bags. You want as much blacked out as humanly possible. Any light will compromise the effort.

I will say - when lights came back on the tank was near spotless and the water was crystal clear. I actually think blackouts are good every so often regardless. But my Dino’s came back about a month later.

OP
OP
Boss

Boss

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I would ramp lights back up over at least a week's time to avoid additional stress. I finally beat my case of ovata by increasing biodiversity and running uv. Good luck; can be a real challenge.

I think some reefers here have had success using Dr. Tim's dino formula and you might want to consider it.
@Mikedawg Thanks. I'm going to try Dr. Tim's Dinoflagellate Treatment bundle. BRS has what looks to be a good write up on this product page for how to use this in conjunction with doing a blackout. Fingers crossed.

Ironically, I always battled high nitrates and occasional cyano outbreaks until I recently upgraded my fuge light to a Kessil H380, which was great as cheato grows very fast now, reducing nitrates to zero and eliminating cyano (note: phosphates still at 0.125 though). BUT now that nitrates are at zero, I now appear to have a dino outbreak. So after doing some research I'm first going to try dosing Neonitrate to get my nitrates up, then move on to Dr. Tims and the Blackout. I hope this works.

Do you have a UV on the system?

@jsvand5 I have an Aqua Ultraviolet UV light that I leave on all the time, with about 400 GPH (my system is about 135 gallons total). I recently just cleaned the glass sleeve in it and replaced the bulb hoping it would help. Not sure if I have the right flow though.

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Hey Mike, sorry to bother you but I'm also having a dino outbreak. You said you increased biodiversity, what exactly did you add to the tank? I have a 90 gallon tank with one neon goby, one urchin, two conch, four cleaner shrimp, and a few snails. I did add some copepods but I have yet to see them actually appear in the tank. What else do you recommend I add? I also have no Coral but I do plan to add Coral

Mikedawg

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I threw in everything I could find that I didn't think would cause a problem longer term. So added zooplankton (pods basically), live phytoplanton, borrowed some more live rock, got some sand from a friend's tank, added in bristle worms, and other inverts like fighting conchs, etc. Figured this would increase the chances of introducing some organisms that would compete with dinos and I felt I needed to do something constructive. In the end, I suspect adding a UV light is what really worked, and my tank also benefited from adding more biodiversity.

Assume your nitrate and phosphate levels are appropriate, etc. Lot of advice for managing them (dinos cannot be totally eliminated) on R2R and a quick search will keep you reading for awhile.

Also, if you make a new post, you'll get a lot more reefer friends.

Dinos are a PITA as I'm sure you know so good luck!

BuddyBonButt

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I threw in everything I could find that I didn't think would cause a problem longer term. So added zooplankton (pods basically), live phytoplanton, borrowed some more live rock, got some sand from a friend's tank, added in bristle worms, and other inverts like fighting conchs, etc. Figured this would increase the chances of introducing some organisms that would compete with dinos and I felt I needed to do something constructive. In the end, I suspect adding a UV light is what really worked, and my tank also benefited from adding more biodiversity.

Assume your nitrate and phosphate levels are appropriate, etc. Lot of advice for managing them (dinos cannot be totally eliminated) on R2R and a quick search will keep you reading for awhile.

Also, if you make a new post, you'll get a lot more reefer friends.

Dinos are a PITA as I'm sure you know so good luck!
Yeah it's been tough. I can't find a uv I can afford so I can't use one. But I'm trying literally everything else I can think of.

Stuck to your aquarium: Do you put reef-related stickers on or around your reef system?

• I have reef-related stickers everywhere!

Votes: 4 4.9%
  • I have some reef-related stickers on or around my reef system.

Votes: 17 21.0%
  • I have some reef-related stickers, but not on my reef system.

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • I don’t have reef-related stickers, but I am interested in getting some.

Votes: 10 12.3%
  • I have no interest in reef-related stickers.

Votes: 31 38.3%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%

Back