How to fully protect your tank from electrical hazards?

Dom

Full Time Reef Keeper
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Appreciate the input, though if I had to cut off the whole tank power whenever I adjust something in it I probably would leave the hobby, it'd be the equivalent to "living in fear", plus It could damage the equipment if I'm turning on/off all the time.

With the wildlife you guys have running around "down under", I think all of you guys are fearless.

LARedstickreefer

Valuable Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
It's quite useful for powering devices such as kettles, coffee makers, toasters, ovens and high power workshop tools, without the need for very bulky and heavy power cords.
Here it is. Lower voltages require higher current for the same power output and this means bigger wire, which costs more.

I make sure to wear some rubber soled shoes when I stick my hand in the water, just in case. It won’t stop capacitive coupling of the AC voltage, but it’s better than bare skin on the floor.

-Matt

BrokenReefer

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I'm a lot like Sam I Am when it comes to snakes:

Would not could not with a Snake; would not could not with a gigantic butt spider;

apista

Community Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snakes do not frighten me, i don’t think any poisonous snake would reside in a toilet. I have relocated probably a dozen Pythons from around my house, they are a cool snake. I have also seen maybe one or two King Browns in my yard, they are a beautiful snake and not at all aggresive.

BeanAnimal

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
install a ground prob it's that easy.
If you use a "ground probe" you absolutely MUST have every piece of equipment on/in or near the aquarium GFC/RCB protected or you risk injury or electrocution. I can't stress this enough. This is not "optional" unless you have a death wish or don't care about your family.

The "ground" probe - without GFCI protection ON EVERYTHING and your hand in the tank equates to you standing on a steel grounded floor barefoot and messing with electrical equipment. YOU become the fault path.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
I am not sure how you got 210 volts unless you are in Europe.

We here in the US have 110 volts. We get 220 volts but we would have to measure two hot likes at the same time and there is no electrical equipment in the US that is 220 volts for a home tank.

I think you are reading something incorrectly or have your meter on the wrong scale.

Anyway, your breaker didn't trip because you were the load and your body didn't get the full 15 or 20 amp load because of the resistance of the water. In other words, your circuit breaker just "thought" you were a heater, motor or some other normal electrical device.

Breakers also take some time to trip and it doesn't usually happen instantaneously.

A ground probe would have eliminated that shock but a GFCI is better. Both of those things is the best thing you could do.

Master Electrician 50 years.
Paul I agree with your comments but I’ve been hearing the “should I put the tank on gfci or should I not “ argument for years . A lot of people side against it as it can trip while your on a trip ( not trying to be funny ) for a number of reasons like power surges etc. . I’ve always aired on the side of liking to keep my heart pumping and try to live as long as I can . myself I use the gfi in my power strip and a ground probe , have I been lucky not to trip my power strip or is there a chance that it is defective ? .anyways I’m considering converting the 20 amp dedicated breaker to a gfci and with that being said should I be concerned with it tripping during power outages and surges or are the cases isolated to a very small percentage or are the tripping that people talk about due to defective or poorly installed breakers ?. :cool:

gbroadbridge

2500 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Paul I agree with your comments but I’ve been hearing the “should I put the tank on gfci or should I not “ argument for years . A lot of people side against it as it can trip while your on a trip ( not trying to be funny ) for a number of reasons like power surges etc. . I’ve always aired on the side of liking to keep my heart pumping and try to live as long as I can . myself I use the gfi in my power strip and a ground probe , have I been lucky not to trip my power strip or is there a chance that it is defective ? .anyways I’m considering converting the 20 amp dedicated breaker to a gfci and with that being said should I be concerned with it tripping during power outages and surges or are the cases isolated to a very small percentage or are the tripping that people talk about due to defective or poorly installed breakers ?. :cool:
I've not heard of a GFCI nuisance tripping in more than 20 years.

Normally when they trip, there is a valid reason.

CoralB

5000 Club Member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0

Normally when they trip, there is a valid reason.
I’ve not experienced it myself but have heard people in the hobby give this as a reason to not use a gfci . Paul being is a retired master Electricion I figured he could give more clarity as to why some are experiencing issues . :cool:

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
There is a lot of mystery about electricity which is why electricians go to more schooling than doctors. OK, maybe the schooling isn't as hard, but both faulty doctors and faulty electricians can kill you, it's just that electricians can kill more of you at once. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

It also has to do with where in the beat cycle your heart is in when you get the initial shock.
Sometimes you die and sometimes you get lucky.

I was working with my friend on an office building in the city as he was on a ladder with his head and shoulders in the hung ceiling. As I said, lighting in office buildings in the city are all 277 volts.

I was speaking to a Supermodel at her desk because she wanted to hire me to do some side electrical work in her house. (you thought I was going to say she was going to hire me to be her Pool boy)

Anyway, I heard this blood curdling scream from the ceiling. I knew there was no Yeti up there so I kicked the ladder out from my friend sending him to the floor.

He had a big hole in his hand but it wasn't bleeding as the electricity cauterized it. I called an ambulance and the hole took many months to heal. The stuff is dangerous, but luckily, he is still alive and it was quite a shock.

It isn't often but they do fail. I just changed one in my house and one in my neighbors house.

They used to be $12.00, now they are about $60.00 or the price of two copperband butterflies.
(I get them cheap here in NY) :astonished-face:

OP
OP
Raphael Dalmeida

Raphael Dalmeida

View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Call me crazy but I think the first thing you should do is stop using that chiller :astonished-face:
Haha it's not mine, it's my friends.

And yes, that was the first thing I did, also told him that he should swap his equipment when he comes back from his trip.

Luckily now we are out of summer so not having the chiller will be alright.

Paul B

10K Club member
View Badges
Reaction score
Rating - 0%
0   0   0
Snakes do not frighten me, i don’t think any poisonous snake would reside in a toilet.
I once shot a Cobra that wanted to sleep in the bunker with me and a huge python who had the same Idea.
Paul I agree with your comments but I’ve been hearing the “should I put the tank on gfci or should I not “ argument for years .
This argument will go on as long as we haver fish and electricity. I never lost anything because a GFCI tripped but I have much of my tanks "stuff" on a few GFCIs and not a power strip with all my pumps plugged into the same one.

In a blackout, all you really need working is one pump for aeration. And maybe the TV to watch re runs of Star Trek. :beaming-face-with-smiling-eyes:

When to mix up fish meal: When was the last time you tried a different brand of food for your reef?

• I regularly change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 5 35.7%
  • I occasionally change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 6 42.9%
  • I rarely change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • I never change the food that I feed to the tank.

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Other.

Votes: 0 0.0%
Back